Steam to implement Xbox One sharing feature

Started by shadowDOESrock, June 18, 2013, 11:22:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadowDOESrock

Steam owners Valve may be looking to allow game sharing in a future update, as suggested by a few lines of tell-tale code found in the store’s client code.

Initially discovered by NeoGAF, the client code now contains the following lines:

“SteamUI_JoinDialog_SharedLicense_Title” “Shared game library”
“SteamUI_JoinDialog_SharedLicenseLocked_OwnerText” “Just so you know, your games are currently in use by %borrower%. Playing now will send %borrower% a notice that it’s time to quit.”
“SteamUI_JoinDialog_SharedLicenseLocked_BorrowerText” “This shared game is currently unavailable. Please try again later or buy this game for your own library.”

From the above code it seems that Valve intends to let users share games or their whole library with at least one friend, and that should you wish to play your game, the borrower will receive a message telling them to quit, suggesting that only one person can play each title at a time.

Presently, users can’t share games, but given the recent hoopla over Xbox One restrictions â€" which was then cooled as Microsoft announced its own family sharing options â€" it seems that Valve wants to pioneer content-sharing online in this manner.

Do you think this is positive step?

jkid101094

If Valve does it Microsoft is only going to have more of a reason to do it and fanboys will have the excuse, "Well Valve does it and everyone praises them so much".

I know there's a difference between digital and retail games but you can't deny that there'll be fanboys taking any ammo they can get their hands on, even if it makes no sense, and that the most naive of us are actually going to fall for it.

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

Says you. She likes me more. D<
And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Hakudamashi

Fuck the naiive losers that can't tell the difference between Xbox and Steam, I take this as a positive step for Steam, makes sense when the community is already used to all their games being digital, and this way Steam gets rid of my bitching about lack of demos.
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

jkid101094

Quote from: windlessusher on June 19, 2013, 04:09:06 AM
this way Steam gets rid of my bitching about lack of demos.
Assuming you have a friend that also owns the game.

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

Says you. She likes me more. D<
And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: jkid101094 on June 19, 2013, 04:20:31 AM
Assuming you have a friend that also owns the game.
And it just so happens I do.

I just hope the process isn't anything tedious so I don't just pirate it anyway...
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

shadowDOESrock

Steam was hated back in the day...
It was not until people noticed the insane sales that people rolled with such a restricting platform.

Quote from: windlessusher on June 19, 2013, 04:47:20 AM
I just hope the process isn't anything tedious so I don't just pirate it anyway...

And then there were these people

Hakudamashi

Quote from: {Your Lovely Kyo}~ on June 19, 2013, 04:51:20 AM
And then there were these people
For demoing purposes I assure you, but I see what you're getting at...
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay