Atari is bankrupt, Auctioning off assests

Started by shadowDOESrock, May 23, 2013, 05:37:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadowDOESrock

Atari filed for court approval this week to auction its assets in July. Those assets include the Atari logo, as well as the Test Drive, Rollercoaster Tycoon, Asteroids, and Pong franchises among others.

As Reuters and the Wall Street Journal reports, Atari Inc., which filed for bankruptcy earlier this year in a bid to sell its assets and separate itself from Atari S.A., has failed to secure a "stalking horse" or lead bidder since then. Atari Inc. approached more than 180 parties about purchasing assets, but only 15 came back with preliminary bids. Atari Inc. didn't deem a single bid acceptable to set the minimum price for the division's clearout.
As it is, Atari Inc.'s own listed minimum bids for the July auction total "nearly $22.2 million." They include $15 million for the Atari brand, $3.5 million for the Rollercoaster Tycoon franchise, $1.5 million for Test Drive, and RTS franchise Total Annihilation at just $250,000. Atari Inc. has already secured $5 million through debtor-in-possession financing. While the auction is still pending court approval, Atari Inc aims to hold it between July 16 and July 19.

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

SmashFinale

Quote from: windlessusher on May 23, 2013, 05:55:30 AM
This game was their best game ever

i swear i saw Atari logos on the DBZ Budokai franchise...

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: SmashFinale on May 23, 2013, 02:39:54 PM
i swear i saw Atari logos on the DBZ Budokai franchise...

S' from Namco Bandai- though Atari distributed in North America.

jkid101094

Everyone is going bankrupt these days...

I hope those games find good homes. Pong and Asteroids are so classic that they should probably be thrown into the public domain.

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

Says you. She likes me more. D<
And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

jkid101094

No, but that doesn't make it any less disappointing.

I'm really up for getting Pong into the Public Domain. With all the clones it should be there anyway.

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

Says you. She likes me more. D<
And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.