RetroN5

Started by shadowDOESrock, April 22, 2013, 03:12:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadowDOESrock

The RetroN 5 will have 5 cartridge slots allowing you to use original NES, SNES, Genesis, Famicom, and Game Boy Advance cartridges. You will also be able to use Super Famicom, Mega Drive, Game Boy Color and Game Boy cartridges as well.
On the back of the console, will be a standard AV output, a USB port to allow for charging of the wireless controller, an AC Adapter to power up the system, and a HDMI output for HDTV connectivity.
Along the sides of the console, are controller ports for the SNES, Genesis, and NES, totalling 6 controller ports, allowing for users to use their original controllers. Users will also be able to use any controller they desire for any system. That means, if you want use a SNES controller to play Genesis games, the RetroN 5 will allow you to do so.

The RetroN 5 will come with a wireless controller that utilizes Bluetooth technology, allowing for a playable distance of a minimum of 15 feet without losing sync from the console. This new controller will also have a Microswitch Directional Pad instea6d of a traditional directional pad. Along with 6 face buttons, two shoulder buttons, a start and select button, and 4 LED light indicators to display the player number, there is also a Home button that will serve multiple functions; one is to sync the controller to the console, but to also gain access to the Game User Interface (GUI) at any point during gameplay. There are also two Macro buttons that will allow you to program. Every controller will have a rechargeable lithium ion battery than can be charged through any USB port via the micro USB cable.

Most games did not allow for you to freely save your games. The RetroN 5 will allow you to save their games at any point during gameplay, and will feature an autosave feature upon shutdown. You will be able to load your saves at anytime during gameplay.

The RetroN 5 will up convert the video signal to show clearer and cleaner images, with vibrant colors on an HDTV with a resolution output of up to 720p through the use of shaders. You will also be able to select the aspect ratio in our GUI, from the standard 4:3 to the HD ratio of 16:9. The goal is to fill up as much of the screen as possible.

Overall audio output quality will be improved through the utilization of audio interpolation, a method of making digital sound better than it really is, resulting in a smoother, cleaner audio output. As a sound wave enters an ADC (analog to digital converter), samples are taken at timed intervals. Higher sample rates produce better recordings, but also require the use of more memory. As a result, to conserve space, most developers used sound that was of lower quality. What interpolation does is instead of repeating each low quality sample, it creates new samples between the originals. As a result, it creates a smoother, crisper sound output than the original sound.

The RetroN 5 will allow for manual and passive overclocking, giving the users the ability to speed up or slow down their games as they see fit. This option will be available on our GUI, and users will have the ability to access this at any time during gameplay by utilizing the “Home” button on the controller. You will also be able to utilize this function by programming the Macro buttons on the wireless controller as well. Users will be able to program the controller to assign buttons to their preference. In turn, the RetroN 5 will save these custom layouts, so that users will not have to constantly reconfigure the button configuration. This feature will also be available to people wanting to remap their buttons on their original controllers.

ROMs do not work with this system.
The System is also capable of reading both PAL and NTSC Cartridges, as well as Japanese Mega Drive Games.
PAL Games are also able to run at the same speed as their NTSC Counterparts.

The MSRP is currently not set, but is promised to be less than $100.
The System will ship with one RetroN5 Controller w/ mini-USB Cable,
an AC Adapter and a normal AV Cable.

(Changes possible)
Last Update to the Actual Content: None as of time reading.

SmashFinale

Calm down Stachekip. No need to orgasm over it...

Just a really smartly priced retro console system player that people could still need to use.

TheGameNinja

...or get the real console? If someone cares enough to track down real NES, Genesis, etc. cartridges instead of getting digital versions, why would they want to play them on a fake console?

SmashFinale

Quote from: TheGameNinja on April 23, 2013, 06:33:33 PM
...or get the real console? If someone cares enough to track down real NES, Genesis, etc. cartridges instead of getting digital versions, why would they want to play them on a fake console?
Remember that this fake console can play ALL the games at once instead of having to hunt down the other consoles and hooking them up separately.

TheGameNinja

Quote from: SmashFinale on April 23, 2013, 08:45:08 PM
Remember that this fake console can play ALL the games at once instead of having to hunt down the other consoles and hooking them up separately.
I get that, but why buy the real cartridges if you're just going to buy a fake console? I mean, I guess I can understand wanting these kinds of machines just for the convenience, but not as a replacement.

SmashFinale

Quote from: TheGameNinja on April 23, 2013, 10:41:36 PM
I get that, but why buy the real cartridges if you're just going to buy a fake console? I mean, I guess I can understand wanting these kinds of machines just for the convenience, but not as a replacement.
TGN.
Maybe someone has the cartridges...
BUT THE SYSTEM ITSELF BROKE DUE TO AGE...??? Or even the components for the system aren't available anymore.

TheGameNinja

Quote from: SmashFinale on April 23, 2013, 11:29:31 PM
TGN.
Maybe someone has the cartridges...
BUT THE SYSTEM ITSELF BROKE DUE TO AGE...??? Or even the components for the system aren't available anymore.
Most retro consoles are cheap, or have a cheap version. The basic NES goes for almost nothing, but the top loader is pricey. You can usually get a console for less than a current gen game.

Also, just noticed this thing supports save states. I'm assuming this is emulation then? If so, all the more reason why I don't see the point.

I like the GB/GBC/GBA support though. Game Boy players for the Gamecube aren't the easiest thing to find and this would probably come in handy if you want to play them on the big screen. I have one though so its useless for meeee... actually, I have all of those consoles. Except for a Megadrive and Super Famicom. But you can easily mod the American systems to play those. And there are converters you can get to play Famicom games on an NES (or buy certain NES games that have hidden converters inside them!).

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: TheGameNinja on April 24, 2013, 01:32:04 AM
Most retro consoles are cheap, or have a cheap version. The basic NES goes for almost nothing, but the top loader is pricey. You can usually get a console for less than a current gen game.

Also, just noticed this thing supports save states. I'm assuming this is emulation then? If so, all the more reason why I don't see the point.

It does not emulate. It does it all with some technical sorcery.
And its convenience.

I for example am going to pick this up because i don't have alot of space to have all these consoles staying around, nor enough SCART or AV plugs for them. AND i live in Europe so i'd have to deal with the PAL Versions that run slower.

It overclocks the shizzle so that they run at the same speed as the NTSC counterparts. And it also upverts the sound.
This System lets me play the original cartridges on an HDMI output. No hassle. No cable-salad.
And i dont have to worry about the low-resolution killing my HDTV. (Which Wii Virtual Console Titles did).

Plus, it comes with a wireless controller.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: {Your Lovely Kyo}~ on April 24, 2013, 07:24:00 AM
And i dont have to worry about the low-resolution killing my HDTV. (Which Wii Virtual Console Titles did).
Explain.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: windlessusher on April 24, 2013, 09:44:44 AM
Explain.

I dont know.
There are alot of HDTV's that can't handle such low input resolution, mine was one of them.
Its just that the screen freezes. 

Hakudamashi

Well this is the first I'm hearing of this.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

shadowDOESrock

Thoughts?

Hakudamashi

That is the derpest looking controller I've ever seen.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay