Nintendo Wants To Buy Sega?

Started by TheSonicGamer201X, December 11, 2012, 09:40:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ye Olde Swagfag

Eh, I've go no qualms about this as long as they don't mess up the Sonic series. And it might actually get SEGA back into making hardware again (probably), I mean the Dreamcast didn't sell well and wasn't that popular but it did what the Xbox 360 and PS3 should've done from the start. Nintendo and SEGA are the only ones who are actually coming up with original ideas as far as I'm concerned...

billyhatcher312

Quote from: LeaflameSD64 on February 17, 2013, 02:33:17 AM
Eh, I've go no qualms about this as long as they don't fuck up the Sonic or Mario series. And it might actually get SEGA back into making hardware again, I mean the Dreamcast didn't sell well and wasn't that popular but it did what the Xbox 360 and PS3 should've done from the start. Nintendo and SEGA are the only ones who are actually coming up with original ideas as far as I'm concerned...

the only reason why the dreamcast didn't sell so good is because of sega didn't add a stupid dvd player to it but it had a hell of alot of good games

SmashFinale

Let's be honest here.
Does anyone here even KNOW about the other IPs besides the ones shown in Sonic and Sega?

TheGameNinja

Quote from: Erik Larsen on February 19, 2013, 11:56:15 AM
the only reason why the dreamcast didn't sell so good is because of sega didn't add a stupid dvd player to it but it had a hell of alot of good games

Um, no. DVD was far from the standard when the Dreamcast came out. VHS was still widely used. Adding a DVD player may have helped it, but not including it certainly didn't hurt it.

The main reason the Dreamcast died is because it was sooooooo easy to play pirated games on the console. The console's use of the internet ensured that a large portion of its users had an internet connection. Even back then, ripping Dreamcast games from the disc, uploading and downloading them online, and burning them to disc was a very easy (if sometimes long) process. The problem was never truly fixed. Later versions of the console prevented the easiest method of playing pirated games by simply running them from CD-Rs, but even then there are relatively simple ways to get around this protection AND this was late enough in the Dreamcast's life that most Dreamcasts on the market didn't have this protection at all.

Yes, there were other factors that played into it, but the rampant piracy on the console is what killed it. Sony's had to deal with this too. Playing burned games on a PS2 is relatively easy as well, but the difference is that Sony makes most of its money from console sales rather than software. And since you did need a PS2 in the first place to play pirated PS2 games, it wasn't nearly as much as a problem. Also, DVD burners weren't as common at the PS2's launch as they are today, so piracy didn't get as bad for some time. The PS1 had a similar problem as the Dreamcast, but it hit later in the console's life (as CD burners became more common) and, again, had nowhere near the impact as it did on the Dreamcast.

Pirating Dreamcast games and playing them on the console is insanely easy today. PS1's pretty easy too, and the Wii.

billyhatcher312

Quote from: TheGameNinja on February 19, 2013, 01:45:34 PM
Um, no. DVD was far from the standard when the Dreamcast came out. VHS was still widely used. Adding a DVD player may have helped it, but not including it certainly didn't hurt it.

The main reason the Dreamcast died is because it was sooooooo easy to play pirated games on the console. The console's use of the internet ensured that a large portion of its users had an internet connection. Even back then, ripping Dreamcast games from the disc, uploading and downloading them online, and burning them to disc was a very easy (if sometimes long) process. The problem was never truly fixed. Later versions of the console prevented the easiest method of playing pirated games by simply running them from CD-Rs, but even then there are relatively simple ways to get around this protection AND this was late enough in the Dreamcast's life that most Dreamcasts on the market didn't have this protection at all.

Yes, there were other factors that played into it, but the rampant piracy on the console is what killed it. Sony's had to deal with this too. Playing burned games on a PS2 is relatively easy as well, but the difference is that Sony makes most of its money from console sales rather than software. And since you did need a PS2 in the first place to play pirated PS2 games, it wasn't nearly as much as a problem. Also, DVD burners weren't as common at the PS2's launch as they are today, so piracy didn't get as bad for some time. The PS1 had a similar problem as the Dreamcast, but it hit later in the console's life (as CD burners became more common) and, again, had nowhere near the impact as it did on the Dreamcast.

Pirating Dreamcast games and playing them on the console is insanely easy today. PS1's pretty easy too, and the Wii.

ok thats why sega stopped the dreamcast because of the internet and shit like the wii and i bet the wii u will be hacked too later on

SmashFinale

Quote from: Erik Larsen on February 19, 2013, 02:17:50 PM
ok thats why sega stopped the dreamcast because of the internet and shit like the wii and i bet the wii u will be hacked too later on
You can pirate the PS3 you know.

TheGameNinja

Quote from: Erik Larsen on February 19, 2013, 02:17:50 PM

The Wii had nothing to do with the demise of the Dreamcast, I was just drawing a parallel since the Wii faced a similar situation.

Quote from: SmashFinale on February 19, 2013, 02:19:14 PM
You can pirate the PS3 you know.

It's not as easy to do though.

billyhatcher312

Quote from: TheGameNinja on February 19, 2013, 02:43:48 PM
The Wii had nothing to do with the demise of the Dreamcast, I was just drawing a parallel since the Wii faced a similar situation.

It's not as easy to do though.

ps3 is much harder for jailbreaking i tried it my self and it said demonstration mode shit so jailbreaking ps3 is harder.  For the Wii people can easily put the homebrew channel on it its very simple

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: SmashFinale on February 19, 2013, 01:12:12 PM
Let's be honest here.
Does anyone here even KNOW about the other IPs besides the ones shown in Sonic and Sega?

Yes.

SmashFinale

Quote from: {Your Lovely Kyo}~ on February 19, 2013, 10:19:20 PM
Yes.

You obviously don't count in that Kyo. I meant the ones only fixated on Sonic.

Ye Olde Swagfag

It's 1999 here, do you know how much it would cost to build Dreamcasts with DVD players? VHS was still being used, and Laserdiscs were slowly starting to fade away. DVD was still new too, and the players were usually $500 or up.

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: SmashFinale on February 19, 2013, 10:21:35 PM
You obviously don't count in that Kyo. I meant the ones only fixated on Sonic.

SEGA's other IP's are quite popular in the gaming community.

billyhatcher312

i hope they remake the dreamcast but with a dvd player in it too

Ye Olde Swagfag

Quote from: Erik Larsen on February 20, 2013, 09:54:20 AM
i hope they remake the dreamcast but with a dvd player in it too
Yeah... that won't be happening any time soon. Personally I think Sega should release more Dreamcast games onto services like Steam, XBLA and Playstation Network.

billyhatcher312

Quote from: LeaflameSD64 on February 20, 2013, 12:24:30 PM
Yeah... that won't be happening any time soon. Personally I think Sega should release more Dreamcast games onto services like Steam, XBLA and Playstation Network.

thats actually a great idea