4Kids is DEAD. What Does This Mean For Anime Coming to America?

Started by jkid101094, August 14, 2012, 02:41:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkid101094

Well recently 4Kids was sued (over Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal, no less) resulting in the company becoming bankrupt after almost 50 years of activity. 4Kids wasn't always terrible (they were responsible for the first seasons of Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh! after all) however, it is no secret to the anime fan base that they're recent works were not as great.

So now with 4Kids kicking the bucket the rights to several anime (or, at least they're showing rights in the US) have been divided between several other companies. Does this, however, mean that the shows will be better off?

According to Wikipedia a company called KidsCo aquired the rights to Dragon Ball Z, Sonic X and Cubix. The name KidsCo may not ring any bells at first, which is understandable. In the past, however, KidsCo has obtained the rights to several other shows you may know such as The Super Mario Bros. Super Show, Sonic Underground, SATam, The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog and Donkey Kong Country, as well as other well known children's shows such as The Magic Schoolbus and Franklin. What worries me as that the list of shows they've handled before doesn't include any anime whatsoever, mostly concerning American children's shows. While it's true that the shows they've acquired are already dubbed they could still make changes, no? KidsCo also acquired the 4Kids Saturday Morning television block so it's possibe some of the aforementioned shows could make their way back to television.

4K Acquisition Corp acquired the rights to the Yu-Gi-Oh! franchise. Luckily, for those of you who don't know, 4K is part of Konami, the guys who not only make games such as Metal Gear Solid, but the YGO card game as well.

So are things looking up for anime? Or have things just gone from bad to worse?

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

Says you. She likes me more. D<
And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

jkid101094

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: jkid101094 on August 14, 2012, 03:44:35 PM

I dunno what it is exactly, but something about DK's design bothers me
It's between either the eyes or that he looks kinda scrawny...
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Sonicsdimas

TheGameNinja

KidsCo is a division of Saban. They've got Power Rangers and Digimon under their belt, except the seasons of both of those that Disney had... but Saban's got both back now.

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

jkid101094

Quote from: TheGameNinja on August 14, 2012, 03:58:23 PM
KidsCo is a division of Saban. They've got Power Rangers and Digimon under their belt, except the seasons of both of those that Disney had... but Saban's got both back now.
But does that mean KidsCo or Saban will have more control over the anime KidsCo has acquired? Also I've don't have any real memories of the Digimon anime. How close was it to the Japanese version?

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

TheGameNinja

Quote from: jkid101094 on August 14, 2012, 04:00:57 PM
But does that mean KidsCo or Saban will have more control over the anime KidsCo has acquired? Also I've don't have any real memories of the Digimon anime. How close was it to the Japanese version?

I don't know who would have more control. As far as I know, this is the first time Saban's used KidsCo. Maybe it's just a name?

As for Digimon, they mostly stuck to the source material. The first two seasons got a few rewrites, but not so much that it's bad (but a lot of lame jokes inserted). The story was always the same as the Japanese though. I think the only time they screwed with Digimon was with the movie.

jkid101094

Quote from: TheGameNinja on August 14, 2012, 04:07:55 PM
As for Digimon, they mostly stuck to the source material. The first two seasons got a few rewrites, but not so much that it's bad (but a lot of lame jokes inserted). The story was always the same as the Japanese though. I think the only time they screwed with Digimon was with the movie.
This makes me a bit less skeptic. So long as they don't pull 4Kids' localization act back out things shouldn't go too badly. I'd love to see DBZK and Sonic X redone removing some of 4kids' stupid edits.

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: jkid101094 on August 14, 2012, 04:14:10 PM
This makes me a bit less skeptic. So long as they don't pull 4Kids' localization act back out things shouldn't go too badly. I'd love to see DBZK and Sonic X redone removing some of 4kids' stupid edits.
That is if they re-edit them at all...
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

jkid101094

Quote from: windlessusher on August 14, 2012, 04:00:22 PM
This may be a tad offtopic, but what happened to DiC?
"The company was also known as The Incredible World of DiC, DiC. Audiovisuel, DiC Enterprises, DIC Animation City and DIC Productions. In 2008, the studio closed its doors, and was reallocated to Cookie Jar Entertainment."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIC_Entertainment

Cookie Jar is on, though. My sister watches it every Sunday or Saturday, I believe.

Quote from: windlessusher on August 14, 2012, 04:16:50 PM
That is if they re-edit them at all...
I never said they would, however, 4Kids left marks that don't deserve to stay there.

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

TheGameNinja

Quote from: jkid101094 on August 14, 2012, 04:14:10 PM

Nicktoons' edit of Kai is pretty much uncut, less so than DBZ was back in the day. Maybe they'll use that version?

jkid101094

Quote from: TheGameNinja on August 14, 2012, 04:37:05 PM
Nicktoons' edit of Kai is pretty much uncut, less so than DBZ was back in the day. Maybe they'll use that version?
Do they even have the rights to that version?

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

TheGameNinja

Quote from: jkid101094 on August 14, 2012, 04:42:38 PM
Do they even have the rights to that version?

Huh, hadn't thought of that... I'm sure Funimation would give it to them over the more censored version though.

jkid101094

Quote from: TheGameNinja on August 14, 2012, 05:04:13 PM
Huh, hadn't thought of that... I'm sure Funimation would give it to them over the more censored version though.
Would they have to go through Nicktoons too?

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

billyhatcher312

Quote from: jkid101094 on August 14, 2012, 05:08:23 PM
Would they have to go through Nicktoons too?

i think 4 Kids should stay on because nick doesnt have much anime

SonicNo1Fanatic

Yahoo!!!!! :D 4Kids is dead; I'm glad that KidsCo. have got the rights to the shows 4Kids messed up, now they can fix them up. :)

billyhatcher312

Quote from: SonicNo1Fanatic on August 16, 2012, 12:41:07 AM
Yahoo!!!!! :D 4Kids is dead; I'm glad that KidsCo. have got the rights to the shows 4Kids messed up, now they can fix them up. :)

DUDE WTF WHY DO U HATE 4Kids TV they made alot of the anime on the shows we see alot too

Tanassy

Anything with "Kid" in the name will most likely butcher their release, given the chance.

TheGameNinja

Quote from: Sonicfan223 on August 16, 2012, 02:02:28 AM
DUDE WTF WHY DO U HATE 4Kids TV they made alot of the anime on the shows we see alot too

No, they did not make the anime. They dubbed the English versions and censored most of their shows a lot. Not everything they did was awful, but their recent stuff was pretty bad.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: TheGameNinja on August 16, 2012, 08:25:12 AM
No, they did not make the anime. They dubbed the English versions and censored most of their shows a lot. Not everything they did was awful, but their recent stuff was pretty bad.
Sounds like CAPCOM... hah.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Super Sonic Boom

Quote from: windlessusher on August 16, 2012, 03:25:30 PM
Sounds like CAPCOM... hah.

Teehee, the company everyone loves to hate but still gives them attention. Sounds about right.

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

billyhatcher312

TheGameNinja

Quote from: Sonicfan223 on August 16, 2012, 06:37:04 PM
they still show on the CW 39

Yeah, on the 25th, that block becomes Vortexx. That's Saban's block. As of the 25th, 4kids may as well be nonexistent.

http://soniczoneforum.com/index.php?topic=26359.0

shadowDOESrock

So, in theory SEGA now has the rights to Sonic X again and could in theory re-dub Sonic X with the current VA's and that Uncut.

Ohyesplease.

Jordan teh Echidna

Pesterchum = sirJayden

TheGameNinja

Quote from: {Your Lovely Kyo}~ on November 09, 2012, 06:50:59 AM
So, in theory SEGA now has the rights to Sonic X again and could in theory re-dub Sonic X with the current VA's and that Uncut.

Ohyesplease.

Actually, Vortexx is airing Sonic X now. I don't know what the deal with the rights is so I can't anwer that.

billyhatcher312

Quote from: jkid101094 on August 14, 2012, 02:41:33 PM
Well recently 4Kids was sued (over Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal, no less) resulting in the company becoming bankrupt after almost 50 years of activity. 4Kids wasn't always terrible (they were responsible for the first seasons of Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh! after all) however, it is no secret to the anime fan base that they're recent works were not as great.

So now with 4Kids kicking the bucket the rights to several anime (or, at least they're showing rights in the US) have been divided between several other companies. Does this, however, mean that the shows will be better off?

According to Wikipedia a company called KidsCo aquired the rights to Dragon Ball Z, Sonic X and Cubix. The name KidsCo may not ring any bells at first, which is understandable. In the past, however, KidsCo has obtained the rights to several other shows you may know such as The Super Mario Bros. Super Show, Sonic Underground, SATam, The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog and Donkey Kong Country, as well as other well known children's shows such as The Magic Schoolbus and Franklin. What worries me as that the list of shows they've handled before doesn't include any anime whatsoever, mostly concerning American children's shows. While it's true that the shows they've acquired are already dubbed they could still make changes, no? KidsCo also acquired the 4Kids Saturday Morning television block so it's possibe some of the aforementioned shows could make their way back to television.

4K Acquisition Corp acquired the rights to the Yu-Gi-Oh! franchise. Luckily, for those of you who don't know, 4K is part of Konami, the guys who not only make games such as Metal Gear Solid, but the YGO card game as well.

So are things looking up for anime? Or have things just gone from bad to worse?

I fucken hate those assholes because they're running anime for America so I think that things have gotten much much worse

Shinigami

Personally, I wasn't all that big a fan of 4Kids, though i give them credit for the original YuGiOh and also, the first 8 seasons of pokemon; they did a good job with those. after that..eh..I dunno. they just didn't do quite as well of a job as they could have with other shows..Sonic X being a prime example.

anyway since they're gone, I guess that just means other dubbing companies like VIZ media and FUNimation will just pick up the slack.
A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a little boy's shoulders to let him know that the world hadn't ended.

billyhatcher312

Quote from: Shinigami on November 28, 2012, 02:12:48 PM
Personally, I wasn't all that big a fan of 4Kids, though i give them credit for the original YuGiOh and also, the first 8 seasons of pokemon; they did a good job with those. after that..eh..I dunno. they just didn't do quite as well of a job as they could have with other shows..Sonic X being a prime example.

anyway since they're gone, I guess that just means other dubbing companies like VIZ media and FUNimation will just pick up the slack.

I loved 4kids and sonic x

SirnaqTheEchidna

I can't believe Donkey Kong had a show. It looks... disturbing at best. Especially DK. I just want to know why there seemed to be a TV show for everything before. I guess they thought they could make money, but it was just a bad idea.
... and with that, the forgotten echidna, the other guardian of Angel Island, set off to find Knuckles. :P

PhantomTrevo

4Kids is Dead?  How long was I gone for?  Anyways, I wonder if KidsCo is in the US?  If so, what channel is it on?  I MISS Donkey Kong Country, and all the other good Nintendo/Sega shows.

TheGameNinja

Quote from: PhantomTrevo on December 20, 2012, 12:11:44 PM
4Kids is Dead?  How long was I gone for?  Anyways, I wonder if KidsCo is in the US?  If so, what channel is it on?  I MISS Donkey Kong Country, and all the other good Nintendo/Sega shows.

KidsCo is a division of Saban. They currently run the Vortexx block which replaced 4Kids's block on The CW. So it's on The CW on Saturday mornings.

billyhatcher312

Quote from: TheGameNinja on December 20, 2012, 01:11:19 PM
KidsCo is a division of Saban. They currently run the Vortexx block which replaced 4Kids's block on The CW. So it's on The CW on Saturday mornings.

i hate the name Vortexx its a really shitty name for the CW block in the morning

Post Merge: December 21, 2012, 09:23:24 AM

now they fucken stole transforms prime from the HUB channel so they really suck ass

Hakudamashi

Quote from: Erik Larsen on December 21, 2012, 04:20:17 AM
now they fucken stole transforms prime from the HUB channel so they really suck ass
Yes, how dare Transformers Prime be watched and loved by a wider audience
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

TheGameNinja

Quote from: Erik Larsen on December 21, 2012, 04:20:17 AM
i hate the name Vortexx its a really shitty name for the CW block in the morning

Post Merge: December 21, 2012, 09:23:24 AM

They didn't steal it. It's still on The Hub. It's just also on CW. The Hub is a network that not everyone gets, but nearly everyone probably gets CW. This is kinda a good thing. :/

eastport

This is the best news I've heard all day. Maybe now we can stop getting these piece of crap dubs, like one piece.

Megaman123

At least the abomination known as 4kids is no more. Well, I hope KidsCo. does well.

Dracoslythe

I find it funny that my pride and joy is the reason 4kids is screwed lol.
Silly Zexal.

It's about time.
4kids had it's jewels, but quality has decreased recently :c

billyhatcher312

Quote from: Dracoslythe on December 25, 2012, 04:45:56 PM
I find it funny that my pride and joy is the reason 4kids is screwed lol.
Silly Zexal.

It's about time.
4kids had it's jewels, but quality has decreased recently :c

hey draco ur an asshole because 4 kids had great tv shows so id shut it if i were u

Dracoslythe

Quote from: Erik Larsen on December 26, 2012, 04:38:51 PM
hey draco ur an asshole because 4 kids had great tv shows so id shut it if i were u
I don't know if I should laugh or cry or both

Alright, I'm going to pick your ridiculous sentence apart piece by piece.  Ignoring the grammar, of course.

Quotehey draco ur an asshole
Why yes, I am!  Thanks for noticing, sugartits xoxo

Quote4 kids had great tv shows
Yes, they did!  I admit that.  I even say that in my post:  "4kids had it's jewels, but quality has decreased recently"

Quoteso id shut it if i were u
Or what?
I don't like empty threats, babe.

All I did was voice an opinion and all you seemed to read from that was "LOLOLOLOL 4KIDZ SUXXXX".
Which was, despite what you think I said, not what I said at all.

Green Mii

4Kids was my childhood. But, finding out about their...recent stuff, it's somewhat bittersweet to see them go.

billyhatcher312

even the 4kidstv.com site is gonoff of the internet and also their youtube account

Dax7

I'm glad 4Kids is gone, what they did to Sonic X and One Piece with their censorship really sucks. I hope some other company picks up anime series and makes better dubs out of them.
3ds owner and Animator in training.

billyhatcher312

Quote from: Dax7 on January 13, 2013, 03:51:48 AM
I'm glad 4Kids is gone, what they did to Sonic X and One Piece with their censorship really sucks. I hope some other company picks up anime series and makes better dubs out of them.

fuck u dude yu-gi oh is a 4kids tv orginal series so i watched that show every day now theyre just showing shit and the fucken site 4kidstv.com is gone too  :'( :'(

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

TheGameNinja

Quote from: Erik Larsen on January 13, 2013, 12:17:09 PM
fuck u dude yu-gi oh is a 4kids tv orginal series so i watched that show every day now theyre just showing shit and the fucken site 4kidstv.com is gone too  :'( :'(

Yu-Gi-Oh! is not a "4kids tv orginal series", it was made by Studio Gallop. 4kids just dubbed it. Yu-Gi-Oh! is still on the air, the original is on Nicktoons now too. I have no idea why you're so angry about this. Vortexx is basically the EXACT SAME THING IN ALMOST EVERY WAY.

Quote from: Dax7 on January 13, 2013, 03:51:48 AM

Funimation's got One Piece now and their dub is great.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: TheGameNinja on January 13, 2013, 05:24:58 PM
They need to go back to dubbing the openings.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

billyhatcher312

Quote from: TheGameNinja on January 13, 2013, 05:24:58 PM
Yu-Gi-Oh! is not a "4kids tv orginal series", it was made by Studio Gallop. 4kids just dubbed it. Yu-Gi-Oh! is still on the air, the original is on Nicktoons now too. I have no idea why you're so angry about this. Vortexx is basically the EXACT SAME THING IN ALMOST EVERY WAY.

ok i guess but they shouldnt show transformers prime because i saw every fucken episode of the show on the hub and even on youtube too so i think they shouldnt show a hub series on vortexx

HoNk

Animes are cartoons no matter how you look at it.
They're just made in japan.
That's the literal meaning of "anime."
Plus most of those shows you listed are awesome.
I'm not worried a bit.
Plus there's always YouTube.

ExcaliberSonic9897

Thunder7908

Quote from: HoNk on January 23, 2013, 05:02:52 AM
Animes are cartoons no matter how you look at it.
They're just made in japan.
That's the literal meaning of "anime."
Plus most of those shows you listed are awesome.
I'm not worried a bit.
Plus there's always YouTube.

HoNk you do make a point. YouTube always helps us when we can't watch cartoons/animes, movies, etc. I go on YouTube more than any other site.

billyhatcher312

Quote from: Thunder7908 on February 05, 2013, 01:09:24 AM
HoNk you do make a point. YouTube always helps us when we can't watch cartoons/animes, movies, etc. I go on YouTube more than any other site.

i download all the anime shows i see from torrents so i dont have to watch them on fucken youtube

TheGameNinja

I buy (almost) all the anime I watch so that my money goes on to support the industry.

billyhatcher312

Quote from: TheGameNinja on February 05, 2013, 04:56:27 AM
I buy (almost) all the anime I watch so that my money goes on to support the industry.

i download them from torrents instead of buying them :D

TheGameNinja

Quote from: Erik Larsen on February 05, 2013, 01:17:30 PM
i download them from torrents instead of buying them :D

Too many people do that. Anime distribution companies in North America have been dropping like flies because too many people just download fansubs instead of buying.

Manic

It Means Sonic,Sonia,And Queen Aleana Will Never Be Seen Again. D:
This Is Manic.Searching Online For Hints Of Queen Aleana.Do Not Disclose This Account To The Dr. Robotnik!I'm Searching For Sonic And Sonia Too!After Out 40th Adventure Together,We Slept In Sanctuary,Then After Our Awakening,The Swatbots Stepped In,Sonic Revved,But Sleet And Dingo Got Him.They Took Him Off To Be Roboticized...I'm Not Sure If He's Roboticized Or Where,But This Is The Zone,So I'm Looking For Him Here.Sonia Tried A Spin,But The Swatbots Shot Glue And Captured Her.Bartlby Saved Her.

Thunder7908

I actually wouldn't download or buy them. First of all, I wouldn't download animes because they might waste my space on my computer. Second of all, I wouldn't buy them because it costs some money. There are some animes for download for Plus members.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: TheGameNinja on February 05, 2013, 04:51:13 PM
Too many people do that. Anime distribution companies in North America have been dropping like flies because too many people just download fansubs instead of buying.
I watch anime via Hulu and Netflix, does that help?
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

TheGameNinja

Hakudamashi

Quote from: TheGameNinja on February 10, 2013, 04:37:27 PM
Yes.
Bitchin
Cause after seeing the quality difference, I couldn't go back to "anime sites". Now that I know it helps the industry, I see no reason to go back to fansubs, some of them are downright atrocious, especially those that REFUSE to translate "baka"...
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

shadowDOESrock

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

TheGameNinja

Quote from: windlessusher on February 10, 2013, 04:45:51 PM
When you say "allowed to"...

Region lockouts, I'd assume. It's a very stupid thing that shouldn't exist anymore.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: TheGameNinja on February 10, 2013, 04:56:39 PM
Region lockouts, I'd assume. It's a very stupid thing that shouldn't exist anymore.
Then do what I do and get a VPN
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

TheGameNinja

jkid101094

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

billyhatcher312

i hate the shitty reagon lock crap video games i understand but tv shows thats bullshit

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: TheGameNinja on February 10, 2013, 11:48:49 PM
If region locking is the problem...

I love you TGN.
I love you.
I want you inside me.

I wish HD was possible, though.

billyhatcher312

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

billyhatcher312

Hakudamashi

Quote from: Erik Larsen on February 13, 2013, 10:31:10 AM
what do u mean by VPN
V______ Private Network. It's a paid service that tricks the internet in believing we're American
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay