Starting a DnD Campaign

Started by jkid101094, May 29, 2012, 06:37:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkid101094

I've noticed that the RP section has be quite active as of late. However, I have only noticed three people RPing which is good but it could always be better. That is why I'm suggesting an alternative to the standard Role Play. The DnD Campaign.

Believe or not, DnD is a very complex game. My friend, Gelatos, the person who introduced me to the game, said he had to buy several books simply to learn how to run one. However, do not let that scare you off. As long as the DnD Master knows what he's doing the player shouldn't have to do anything more than make their actions. The rules can also be altered to suit the RP at hand.

But you may be wondering, what exactly is DnD? Well, DnD is basically a more sophisticated RP (if you'd use that word) that combines the free style of the standard RP with the complexity and story of a standard RPG Video Game. Imagine Skyrim if you could literally spawn anything at any time from any form of media ever. That is the DnD Campaign.

As stated before, many DnD Masters have to buy books to even get the basic formulas down, however, ignoring that in all reality I'm talking out of my ass, there are a few websites that can give you an idea of what a campaign is like. Items, classes and other things can be altered to suit the needs of the game, of course. Here is a quote from Gelatos:

Quote from: GelatosRules
If you need a refresher, here are some of the rules that are still pertinent in 4th edition.

Core Mechanics (stop reading once you get to the "Modifier Types" section, the rest is unnecessary).
Ability Scores (read to the bottom of the page. Don't memorize it, just get a basic idea).
Descriptions (RP stuff, read enough so that you understand alignment).

Of course, I know a bit about campaigns so you can always ask me and if I'm not sure I could always ask him. I believe Kay has been in a DnD campaign before and I remember her enjoying it so it isn't like it's supposed to feel like work.

Anyway I hope this helps to an extent. I don't actually plan on starting a campaign myself but I figured I'd post the resources in case one of you were willing. I hope this draws other members into the RP scene so that we can stop complaining about it being dead. =P

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

Says you. She likes me more. D<
And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

TheGameNinja

Is this DnD as in Dungeons and Dragons?

jkid101094

Quote from: TheGameNinja on May 29, 2012, 06:46:47 AM
Is this DnD as in Dungeons and Dragons?
I would assume so, but the theme can be switched up. I assume it's called DnD simply because that game is the basis.

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

TheGameNinja

jkid101094

Quote from: TheGameNinja on May 29, 2012, 06:50:48 AM
Okay, I'm interested.
Interested in starting a campaign or playing one? I'd attempt to, if no one else would, but I'm not all the confident I could. xD

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

TheGameNinja

I'd play one for sure. I don't know about running one, I've never had any experience with it... but maybe. I haven't even read the rules yet.

SuperSonic23

Seems like SO MUCH WORK, jk. Meh, how do I start?
I WUV TEH RED CHAOS EMERALD CUZ RED IS MAH FAV!!

TheGameNinja

Okay, I think I have a basic handle on the rules. I wouldn't want to run a game before playing one, though.