Capcom comments again about on-disc dlc

Started by shadowDOESrock, May 15, 2012, 03:14:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hakudamashi

Quote from: {Your Lovely Kyo}~ on May 15, 2012, 04:39:48 PM
As for your first question: Well, i dont know - nor can i report that i've never experienced that a 'unfair' pre-order bonus.
Might tell me some examples?
Well as far as multiplayer goes, I can't remember the game, only my brother bitching about it. But I do remember that pimping Dragon Armour pre-order bonus for Dragon Age Origins. It was an armour that you seriously could not lose, it utterly broke the game and made the whole concept of looting utterly pointless since NOTHING you find will be better than that armour, and instead of making it available in-game whether it be through haxor crafting or otherwise, it was pre-order bonus exclusive... so yeah.

Wait, you cant pre-order your games? Does your nation have GameStops / EBGames? They probably have it.
We don't have any of that sh*t, we don't even have a "game store" at all(to my knowledge), we just have electronics stores that also sells games, non of which does pre-ordering.

And now lets look where they are.
Ok first, SEGA's bankrupcy is a result of their poor business decisions over the years, not cause of a Sonic hat. And let's say they did in fact not make the Sonic hat, and instead somehow made Sonic Colours DLC, wouldn't that result in even less time being worked on Sonic 4 EP:1 and Sonic Generations? Would you honestly want to see just how much worse the physics in Sonic 4 could get? Or just how much more plot holes they could fit into Sonic Generations?

Quote from: jkid101094 on May 15, 2012, 04:40:32 PM
6 to 8 weeks more. Sure.
I may not be a developer, but I think 6-8 weeks is alot of time to better make a new project.

Quote from: jkid101094 on May 15, 2012, 04:49:20 PM
What is it going to take for people to get over this? The reason they do that is so the content doesn't take up hard drive space. They're doing you a service and you're complaining about it. :U
Wouldn't the exact same thinng be accomplished if the content was able to be unlocked through in-game achievements? Games of the past did this...
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

TheGameNinja

Yup. I know. Don't really care though. It's the principal of the thing. You don't buy a car with all the extras in it only with them all disabled, even though there is room for them.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: TheGameNinja on May 15, 2012, 04:55:52 PM
Yup. I know. Don't really care though. It's the principal of the thing.
Y'know games of the past also  had Disc-Locked content, locking away hours of extra content already on the disc to save harddrive space, y'know how you unlocked it then? BY PLAYING THE F*CKING GAME
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: windlessusher on May 15, 2012, 04:55:28 PM
Well as far as multiplayer goes, I can't remember the game, only my brother bitching about it. But I do remember that pimping Dragon Armour pre-order bonus for Dragon Age Origins. It was an armour that you seriously could not lose, it utterly broke the game and made the whole concept of looting utterly pointless since NOTHING you find will be better than that armour, and instead of making it available in-game whether it be through haxor crafting or otherwise, it was pre-order bonus exclusive... so yeah.
Cant really comment since i've never played Dragon Age.

Ok first, SEGA's bankrupcy is a result of their poor business decisions over the years, not cause of a Sonic hat. And let's say they did in fact not make the Sonic hat, and instead somehow made Sonic Colours DLC, wouldn't that result in even less time being worked on Sonic 4 EP:1 and Sonic Generations? Would you honestly want to see just how much worse the physics in Sonic 4 could get? Or just how much more plot holes they could fit into Sonic Generations?
First of all Sonic 4 is Dimps, not Sonic-Team.
Not only that - but Sonic Team is split into two.
Colours was also developed by a different team - the ones who made Secret Rings & Black Knight.
The Main Team did 06, Unleashed & Generations.

I may not be a developer, but I think 6-8 weeks is alot of time to better make a new project.
Creating DLC also gives the Team a slight down time, without having them on vacation.
It assures they wont get tired and are still capable of doing good work on the new project.

Quote from: windlessusher on May 15, 2012, 04:55:28 PMWouldn't the exact same thinng be accomplished if the content was able to be unlocked through in-game achievements? Games of the past did this...
Quote from: windlessusher on May 15, 2012, 04:57:40 PM
Y'know games of the past also  had Disc-Locked content, locking away hours of extra content already on the disc to save harddrive space, y'know how you unlocked it then? BY PLAYING THE F*CKING GAME
DLC is not the same as 'unlockable' content, it is additional content. Like, Expansion Packs.
Unlockable thingies are still there.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: {Your Lovely Kyo}~ on May 15, 2012, 05:07:36 PM
DLC is not the same as 'unlockable' content, it is additional content. Like, Expansion Packs.
Unlockable thingies are still there.
DLC is unlockable content, you just unlock it with money instead of in-game accomplishments
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

jkid101094

Assuming that every month is 30 days and that Skyward Sword took exactly 5 years 8 weeks is roughly about 3.1% of the time it took to make Skyward Sword...don't quote me on that.

Quote from: windlessusher on May 15, 2012, 04:57:40 PM
Y'know games of the past also  had Disc-Locked content, locking away hours of extra content already on the disc to save harddrive space, y'know how you unlocked it then? BY PLAYING THE F*CKING GAME
And you know what? You can still do that. Yes. Believe it or not even shittastic games like Soul Calibur V have unlockables and DLC. Sadly, some of that DLC couldn't be squeezed in as unlockable content and in this day and age the last thing a dev wants is poor sales. I hate when you bitch about DLC when you don't even think about why we have it in the first place. If everything created after the games release was made free then you'd actually lose money on it and it's already hard enough to get money in the industry. A big company like SEGA having to revamp after so many losses should be proof of how hard it is to survive in the gaming industry.

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

Says you. She likes me more. D<
And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

shadowDOESrock

Like jkid said, you can still do that.

I mean, i can see where you're coming from with all these shitty jrpgs that have purchasable bikinis.
But elsewhere... eh.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: jkid101094 on May 15, 2012, 05:12:53 PM
And you know what? You can still do that. Yes. Believe it or not even shittastic games like Soul Calibur V have unlockables and DLC. Sadly, some of that DLC couldn't be squeezed in as unlockable content and in this day and age the last thing a dev wants is poor sales. I hate when you bitch about DLC when you don't even think about why we have it in the first place. If everything created after the games release was made free then you'd actually lose money on it and it's already hard enough to get money in the industry. A big company like SEGA having to revamp after so many losses should be proof of how hard it is to survive in the gaming industry.
Am I hating on DLC? I don't remember ever hating on DLC in general, I'm very sure my anger was directed to on-disc DLC and day one DLC.
Those games that support both unlockable content and regular DLC are some of my favourites thank you very much, like Blazblue and Uncharted 2

My rage against on-disc DLC is that, if all it does is to save hard drive space, then why not just add it to the game in the first place? Or if you want to better separate it from regular DLC, then why not make it that with on-disc DLC, you make the content capable of being un-locked in game, and purchasable as an option
For example, BlazBlue Continuum Shift, the character Mu-12 is on-disc DLC, can be purchased on PSN for $3.00(If I recall), however if you didn't want to spend the money, you unlocked her in-game by completing the story mode with 7 specific characters. The characters Makoto, Platinum, and Vahlkyenhein, the off-disc DLC, made some months after the game was released, was not unlockable in-game, and had to be obtained through PSN only for $3.00 each.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: windlessusher on May 15, 2012, 05:26:29 PM
Or if you want to better separate it from regular DLC, then why not make it that with on-disc DLC, you make the content capable of being un-locked in game, and purchasable as an option
For example, BlazBlue Continuum Shift, the character Mu-12 is on-disc DLC, can be purchased on PSN for $3.00(If I recall), however if you didn't want to spend the money, you unlocked her in-game by completing the story mode with 7 specific characters. The characters Makoto, Platinum, and Vahlkyenhein, the off-disc DLC, made some months after the game was released, was not unlockable in-game, and had to be obtained through PSN only for $3.00 each.

People actually consider that unfair, so yeah.

No matter what you do, a part of the so-called 'fanbase' will always hate, until we reach the point where gamers grew up having DLC as a 'standard'. Not us.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: {Your Lovely Kyo}~ on May 15, 2012, 05:29:08 PM
People actually consider that unfair, so yeah.
Well I'm not speaking for those people, I'm speaking for myself and my personal reason for being against on-disc DLC.
And how is that unfair exactly?
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: windlessusher on May 15, 2012, 05:33:54 PM
Well I'm not speaking for those people, I'm speaking for myself and my personal reason for being against on-disc DLC.
And how is that unfair exactly?
Lets say Player Micheal has played through all the campaigns in hard mode to get that character and the finally unlocks it.
He wants to try out his hard-earned work online.
He notices how many people actually have that character because they simply bought it, making his achievement obsolete.

Maybe he couldn't afford to buy that character either, making him even more mad about spoiled kids who simply bought it.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: {Your Lovely Kyo}~ on May 15, 2012, 05:43:02 PM
Lets say Player Micheal has played through all the campaigns in hard mode to get that character and the finally unlocks it.
He wants to try out his hard-earned work online.
He notices how many people actually have that character because they simply bought it, making his achievement obsolete.

Maybe he couldn't afford to buy that character either, making him even more mad about spoiled kids who simply bought it.
1.Maybe it's my upbringing, but if you're gonna let something like that make your achievement seem obsolete, you probably shouldn't be playing games online in the first place.
2.How is this anymore unfair than making it available only to people who pay? At least this way, everyone has a chance of getting this content, but in the case where you can only get it by paying for it, people like me are sh*t outta luck, do you know how long I've wanted to play has Kenshi or Freddy in Mortal Kombat but can't because I have to conserve my PSN money for things that may interest me more down the line due to how difficult these things are for me to get?
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: windlessusher on May 15, 2012, 05:51:45 PM
1.Maybe it's my upbringing, but if you're gonna let something like that make your achievement seem obsolete, you probably shouldn't be playing games online in the first place.
2.How is this anymore unfair than making it available only to people who pay? At least this way, everyone has a chance of getting this content, but in the case where you can only get it by paying for it, people like me are sh*t outta luck, do you know how long I've wanted to play has Kenshi or Freddy in Mortal Kombat but can't because I have to conserve my PSN money for things that may interest me more down the line due to how difficult these things are for me to get?

It'll always be unfair to someone somehow, if it has to do with multiplayer & money.

And i am assuming you either dont have alot of money to spend for the additional content or the gaming market is horrible down there.
If thats the case... well, shit.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: {Your Lovely Kyo}~ on May 15, 2012, 06:07:39 PM
And i am assuming you either dont have alot of money to spend for the additional content or the gaming market is horrible down there.
If thats the case... well, shit.
All the more reason I'm more supportive of this
Quote from: windlessusher on May 15, 2012, 05:26:29 PM
then why not make it that with on-disc DLC, you make the content capable of being un-locked in game, and purchasable as an option
And all the more reason I'm very dismissive of on-disc DLC and day 1 DLC, I'll never shake the feeling that I just paid full price for an incomplete game... and there's not really much I can do about it...
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Hyper Shadow 00

Quote from: windlessusher on May 15, 2012, 05:10:38 PM
DLC is unlockable content, you just unlock it with money instead of in-game accomplishments

Yay... more pointless things to blow cash on...
Mew is awesome