Sonic Generations 3DS Review

Started by Supersonic196, November 25, 2011, 08:01:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Supersonic196

So, last night I braved the Black Friday mobs to get my hands on Sonic Generations for 3DS, Walmart was the only store open at the time, and it was a madhouse. Eventually, after navigating through a see of angry people fighting over a TV, I got to the gaming section. They had the glass doors unlocked due to the crowd, so I took SG and ran I navigated to the register, forked over 40 bucks, and had acquired a fantastic game.

I had made a point not to watch any videos in order not to spoil it.

On boot up, you'll be greeted by a statue of two Sonics spinning elegantly on your top screen, I hastily tapped the icon to play.
The game starts, you'll hear a slap bass remake of the Sonic 1 title screen, then you'll navigate to the menus and hear a familiar tune, remade fantastically.

I started with the main game, cleared three levels, and was feeling a little down. I was so excited when I first started it, but the first three levels seemed a bit easy... like really easy... I began to think that I just blew 40 bucks on a slapdash cash in title, then I got to emerald coast, and was met with a faceplant into bliss, It was long, well designed, challenging, had may alternate routes, and the music really made me feel at home, I then fell in love with game.

I revisited the earlier levels with my newfound curiosity, and discovered that I was on the "noob routes" as my friend calls them, the branching paths designed for those who can't play Sonic, usually the lowest part of the level  :P

Radical Highway was amazing, the classic remix was fantastic, I then got to fight the two best bosses in the game.
SPOILER: Shadow and Biolizard were some of the most fun I've had fighting bosses in a Sonic game, Biolizard transitioned amazingly by the way, I didn't think he'd work in a 2d game, SEGA delightfully proved me wrong.

The main game took me about an hour to complete, not including special stages. The story is virtually non existent, which may have been a turn off for me at the start, but I didn't exactly go into it expecting a masterpiece story line, after seeing the HD version's stories.

The game also supports online multiplayer, and it can really get your pulse going. Before each match you swap your profile card with your opponent, and it's fun to see how good of a player they are by examining their scores on their card. You can even customize your card's backgrounds, choose a favorite sonic game, favorite character, how long you've been a Sonic fan, and it's interesting to see how many people share your views on Sonic games.

The collection room is a nice touch, you can listen to classic tunes, view models ala Super Smash Brothers trophies, and even view artwork.

There are 100 missions to complete, and they can be really challenging at times, one mission requires you to find and destroy a newtron in green hill zone act 1. Upon completing the mission you're rewarded with a sonic trophy. Another nice touch is the fact that you can simply buy the mission rewards with play coins (those things you get for walking around with your 3ds) if you don't want to complete the task.

The 3D effect is pulled off fantastically during gameplay, and the gameplay itself is silky smooth, Classic Sonic's physics are almost a 1:1 replica of the genesis days, and Modern Sonic's silky smooth gameplay really is a fantastic experience, and probably the best time I've ever had in a handheld Sonic game. It's a joy to blast around loops, and make split second jumps to access faster routes.

In short Sonic Generations 3DS gets off to slow start, but it's well worth keeping at it to discover the gem it is.

Tanassy

Great Review.. fair and informative, but short and to the point.

So let's get to the real question.. 3D or HD?

jkid101094

Quote from: supersonic196 on November 25, 2011, 08:01:42 AM
The game also supports online multiplayer, and it can really get your pulse going.

and Modern Sonic's silky smooth gameplay really gets your pulse going, It's a joy to blast around loops, and make split second jumps to access faster routes.
I see you like things that get your pulse going. *slapped*

But, from one author to another. Try to avoid using the same words of phrases too many times. It can make the writing sound redundant or cheesy.

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

Says you. She likes me more. D<
And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Supersonic196

Quote from: Riko Sapphire on November 25, 2011, 08:46:26 AM

Well, the classic physics, while great on both systems, are simply better on 3DS.

And while both versions are fantastic, I think you'd get more longevity out of the HD version, as it's missions are better designed, the 3DS version recycles level layouts for it's missions, while the HD version has new layouts for each mission. That and the HD game itself is beautiful.

I really got a mega collection vibe from the 3DS version, sort of an homage to the more abstract levels in Sonic, while the HD version really felt like a good solid block of well known levels.

I prefer the level selection and online mode in the 3DS version, but the HD version is definitely more approachable, as you sort of know what to expect. The 3DS version is also much shorter than it's HD counterpart, but I LOVE racing online and aiming for S ranks.

Really it's all down to personal preference, I think Emerald Coast is what sold me on the 3DS version, as the original SA is my favorite game of all time.

I think Sonic fans that got really deep into the series will appreciate the 3DS version a bit more than the HD version, but for anyone else, I think the HD version will do the trick.

Again, this game is going to be a major turn off for anyone other than the core fanbase, and it seems like it's been aimed at the Dreamcast generation, while the HD version is definitely aimed at the new modern/classic crowd that sega's been trying to pull in with games like Colors and Sonic 4.

I prefer the 3DS version despite it's shortness, I can see myself pulling months of enjoyment out of this thing.

And this is coming from someone who also got Super Mario 3D Land at the same time.

Quote from: jkid101094 on November 25, 2011, 08:50:51 AM
But, from one author to another. Try to avoid using the same words of phrases too many times. It can make the writing sound redundant or cheesy.

Durmit. I wrote this as soon as I got up, after a night of battling mindless HDTV hungry zombies. Won't happen again :P

jkid101094

Quote from: supersonic196 on November 25, 2011, 09:10:32 AM
Well, the classic physics, while great on both systems, are simply better on 3DS.

And while both versions are fantastic, I think you'd get more longevity out of the HD version, as it's missions are better designed, the 3DS version recycles level layouts for it's missions, while the HD version has new layouts for each mission. That and the HD game itself is beautiful.
*buzzer*
WRONG!

The bonus missions in the HD levels are just segments of the level with different object placement. Like they did in colors with a few of the acts.

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Supersonic196

Quote from: jkid101094 on November 25, 2011, 09:30:03 AM
different object placement.

lay·out/?l??out/
Noun:   
1.The way in which the parts or objects of something are arranged or laid out.
2.The way in which text or pictures are set out on a page.

Tanassy

In other words, he's not talking about the set pieces, he's talking about at least that noticable difference in object placement. Which the 3DS lacks..? (Just like SRA)

Supersonic196

Quote from: Riko Sapphire on November 25, 2011, 10:01:32 AM
In other words, he's not talking about the set pieces, he's talking about at least that noticable difference in object placement. Which the 3DS lacks..? (Just like SRA)
Yes, Some of the 3ds missions are don't destroy enemies, don't take damage, don't touch water, stuff like that. I've only done 6/100 so I could be wrong, but I haven't seen any major differences.

jkid101094

Quote from: supersonic196 on November 25, 2011, 09:59:42 AM
lay·out/?l??out/
Noun:   
1.The way in which the parts or objects of something are arranged or laid out.
2.The way in which text or pictures are set out on a page.
Quiet, you. I misread your post. Carry on. *slinks back into his hole*

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Tanassy

Quote from: supersonic196 on November 25, 2011, 10:04:25 AM
Yes, Some of the 3ds missions are don't destroy enemies, don't take damage, don't touch water, stuff like that. I've only done 6/100 so I could be wrong, but I haven't seen any major differences.
They're timewasters I guess. Again, just like SRA.

Supersonic196

Quote from: Riko Sapphire on November 25, 2011, 10:12:14 AM
They're timewasters I guess. Again, just like SRA.
Yeah, It's nice they're in there though, obviously some missions are better than others, but occasionally there's a fun one, I just play them to get my collectibles.

Super Sonic Boom

Quote from: supersonic196 on November 25, 2011, 10:04:25 AM
Some of the 3ds missions are don't destroy enemies, don't take damage, don't touch water, stuff like that.

That seems like SATBK and SATSR bullcrap - I hate Sonic-based missions like that.

Supersonic196

Quote from: Chris Silvano on November 25, 2011, 03:17:58 PM
That seems like SATBK and SATSR bullcrap - I hate Sonic-based missions like that.

Both those games were awful, and I would agree with you if the gameplay wasn't so smooth, what would be some slapdash game extender has turned into a nice feature to have, due to the fun of simply playing the game.

Super Sonic Boom

Quote from: supersonic196 on November 26, 2011, 09:23:05 AM
Both those games were awful, and I would agree with you if the gameplay wasn't so smooth, what would be some slapdash game extender has turned into a nice feature to have, due to the fun of simply playing the game.

EXACTLY! We meet again Mr. Contradictory Point! (Not talking about ss196 being the CP)

Tanassy

Got the game.

Props to the devs for making a homing attack that actually DOESN'T cancel all horizontal momentum.. ~w~

Hakudamashi

Quote from: Riko Sapphire on December 08, 2011, 07:25:45 PM
Got the game.

Props to the devs for making a homing attack that actually DOESN'T cancel all horizontal momentum.. ~w~
This is the first talk about dimps in a long time that isn't "F*ck you, you didn't get the physics right D:"
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Tanassy

Quote from: windlessusher on December 09, 2011, 03:27:36 AM
This is the first talk about dimps in a long time that isn't "F*ck you, you didn't get the physics right D:"
I've loved the physics in all of Dimps' handheld titles. And my gosh, it is sooo right in this game.

jkid101094

Quote from: Riko Sapphire on December 08, 2011, 07:25:45 PM
Please explain to me why that matters?

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Tanassy

Quote from: jkid101094 on December 09, 2011, 04:55:13 AM
Please explain to me why that matters?
The homing dash is a great way to balance speed and platforming.. and when you make a homing dash in Generations HD you stop dead in your tracks (Which is annoying especially when you wrongly time a landing, go flying sideways then straight down, as opposed to having some... actual momentum, and being able to gain some speed, touch the platform and then jump off without falling)

many a cheap death were avoided in 3D where it would be common in HD.

Hakudamashi

The stopping dead in my tracks after a jump dash has actual saved my ass on many occasions, especially inn Crisis City.
And Sonic Generations isn't the only game where it's saved me...
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Tanassy

Quote from: windlessusher on December 09, 2011, 06:55:34 AM
The stopping dead in my tracks after a jump dash has actual saved my ass on many occasions, especially inn Crisis City.
And Sonic Generations isn't the only game where it's saved me...
I think it's annoying, and an extreme break in flow/immersion.

And the cause of many cheap as fuck deaths.

jkid101094

Quote from: Riko Sapphire on December 09, 2011, 07:00:37 AM
I think it's annoying, and an extreme break in flow/immersion.
Here we go again.

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

littlered615

Quote from: Riko Sapphire on November 25, 2011, 08:46:26 AM

IT IS IN 3D FOR THE 3DS!!!!!!!!!!!

jkid101094

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Tanassy

Supersonic196

Hakudamashi

MISSIONS, Y U NO BE GO GOOD >=U

I never liked these type of missions where you get the same exact stage, but with retarded clear conditions, it just seems lazy =/
It's fine if it's just one of the missions for that stage and the majority changes the entire layout (ala console ver. of Sonic Generations), but with this, I've effectively beaten the same stage over 7 times...
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Jazz Nova

Quote from: windlessusher on January 01, 2012, 07:22:17 AM
MISSIONS, Y U NO BE GO GOOD >=U

I never liked these type of missions where you get the same exact stage, but with retarded clear conditions, it just seems lazy =/
It's fine if it's just one of the missions for that stage and the majority changes the entire layout (ala console ver. of Sonic Generations), but with this, I've effectively beaten the same stage over 7 times...
Is this like the Day missions in Unleashed Wii/PS2?
Thanks, firestar and kirbysoul, respectively

Supersonic196

Quote from: Jazz Nova on January 01, 2012, 10:03:54 AM
Is this like the Day missions in Unleashed Wii/PS2?
No, those had different level layouts, these are the exact same level with different objects.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: supersonic196 on January 01, 2012, 10:13:04 AM
No, those had different level layouts, these are the exact same level with different objects.
Which is completely lazy btw
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Jazz Nova

Quote from: supersonic196 on January 01, 2012, 10:13:04 AM
They're still annoying and repetitive, as the original level layout is very evident.
Thanks, firestar and kirbysoul, respectively

CaptinAss

HD Generations wins by a mile. My reasons against the 3ds are:
1. Modern Sonic is just Classic Sonic with a boost.
2. There are moments which is just a straight pathway.
3. The fact that there are less levels then the HD version.
4. And some levels pissed me off like Radical Highway and Tropical Resort.
5. The rival battles are all the same.

These are the only good points I can think of are:
The Time Eater boss.
And the Special Stages.

pizzaman9080

Yam7687

Kind of good actually.liked it but generation pc is better tho

SonictheKid101

Nice review! Really went into depth

TheGoldenGamer50

*Toei Time*