Windows 8
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows 8  (Read 8268 times)
shadowDOESrock
« on: August 05, 2011, 06:20:30 AM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/p92QfWOw88I&rel=0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/p92QfWOw88I&rel=0</a>
jkid101094
Draco's favorite transgender, animephile, sexist bastard child and the Eternal Goddess of Sonic ZONE~
Super Sonic! (+)

Location: My room, makin' games and relaxing in total comfort.

Activity
2%

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 06:25:18 AM »

What is this? I'll stick with Vista (or 7), thank you. >:U

I also heard this'll play Xbox games.
24kben
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 06:33:55 AM »

Rumors of the ability to play XBox games have been around for a long time. Since the pre-beta stages of Vista back when Longhorn build 4074 was floating around I heard that a lot.

Problem is Xbox 360 is designed to be a dedicated PowerPC model. And very high end. To convert the language to native x86-64 would be extremely draining. Not even a super computer would be able to do it good :/

Windows 8 is amazing I've been using the Milestone 3 build that was leaked a while back (Build 7989) it's REALLY fast and stable.

What is this? I'll stick with Vista (or 7), thank you. >:U

I also heard this'll play Xbox games.

They're trying to make it more tablet/touchPC friendly. The "classic" desktop is still there and 100% usable. Turning off that welcome screen you just get a typical Windows environment. And they're making Windows 8 really shine in performance. Even SUPER crappy PCs can do transparent windows in the Basic theme using alpha channels (if enabled specifically)
Tanassy
Lewd Girl.
Super Sonic! (+)

Activity
0%

Stuck on a different planet.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 07:53:11 AM »

As I've said before, Windows 7 hasn't even been out very long and they're already doing this? makes me glad I never bought 7.

Does anyone know where one could find these 'leaks'?

shadowDOESrock
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 08:12:34 AM »

http://www.kat.ph/windows-8-build-7989-vmware-image-t5656382.html

Windows 8 comes out late '12/Early '13
By then 7 is already 4/5 Years old.

So this is like a Pre-Pre-Pre-Alpha Build.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 08:15:48 AM by The Lovely Kyo~ » Logged
24kben
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 01:12:36 PM »

Kyo is right. And in fact I'd say 4-5 years old is pushing it. Look at XP, it lasted six years. Got TOO much ground in the PC business and it was and still is almost impossible to kill for good. So bad Microsoft has PR campaigns to kill their own product!

A 3-5 year life cycle is good for operating systems. With smaller upgrades, Vista wouldn't have been a problem. If Longhorn hadn't been screwed up from the start by being based on XP's kernel which couldn't handle the under-the-hood tasks they wanted to achieve. They ended up scrapping the projects and starting over from scratch on the Server 2k3 kernel which vista used. With SP1 vista moved to the Server 2k8 kernel and 7 uses Server 2k8R2 which is now the only branch of the NT Kernel creating a streamlined process.

Prior there was Windows for home, for office and for servers. All of which were treated as different projects. Now Windows is a core, built to be modular so that you can add the different front-end experiences for the different environments. That's what Windows should have been. That's what screwed Windows Whistler (XP) up, what screwed Longhorn up and so forth. Most vista's incompatibilities came from moving from 2001 home technology to more robust 2007 server technology in one huge leap.

But now that we're on this new system, Vista, 7, 8 all are almost 100% fully compatible with each other AND the Server line.

Windows 8 at it's core is the same Windows you have with 7, just updated. Faster more reliable and efficient. With a new Shell on top that can be disabled for a classic experience.

There's a lot of behind the scenes work going on here. A vastly improved XML based file system/indexing system, more secure user environment, enhanced support for legacy hardware, vastly improved basic theme rendering including Alpha-based translucency. Not to mention the ribbon in explorer. Which I must say, I like a lot after getting used to it.

But yes, as Kyo said this is extremely early build here. They're farther along now, by a pretty good ways, but 7989 is a milestone 3 build. This is officially "Pre-Beta". Microsoft is using a scheme like this.

Internal Alpha Stage: conceptual design. preliminary talks of new ideas many are scrapped and/or die is testing the implementation.

Pre-Beta Stage: Beginning of real-world implementation. often wild and crazy as they seek the best way to begin using these ideas. Many elements are scrapped or extremely changed.

Beta Stage: By this point Microsoft has decided what features are going to be released and how they will be implemented. It's time to build a prototype and seed it to the geeky public to start real-world testing. Get feed back from testers on errors/features.

Release Candidate Stage: This stage they expect there to be no more "game ending" bugs. It's squash the little ones and keep the real world testing going.  Use tester info to mend the product according to tester's reports.

Release to Manufacturer/Retail: This is the time they're done and start manufacturing the DVDs and sending the OS to your favorite PC company to start installing on new machines.

After one year, accumulate hot fixes into service pack one, look at public response to new windows and from there begin Internal alpha all over again.

even if you don't like the new UI, getting Windows 8 is a very good idea when it comes out. Simply because staying on an antiquated operating system is a bad idea. All your PC's now should run Windows 7 SP1, Vista SP2. Or Linux. (OSx86, if you want also, but that's another discussion all together. Wink )

Sorry for the long post, I'm actually working on an article about the development of Windows 8 and I kinda put my random garble-de-gook thoughts into this window Tongue
Super Sonic Boom
Super Sonic! (+)

Activity
0%

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 03:02:01 PM »

The Metro UI is the only thing that takes me a second to understand but with customization options I can get use to that REAL quickly considering it could give me a lot of options.
Tanassy
Lewd Girl.
Super Sonic! (+)

Activity
0%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 09:06:45 PM »

Either way, I'm glad I didn't buy 7 because I don't like to pay a lot of money for something like this. And given I only build my own PCs, it's not like I get it with the stuff I buy. Heck, if this is good as you say it is it may just be worth actually buying.

Hakudamashi
Mr.Short Answer
Super Sonic! (+)

Activity
1%

I will treasure this always.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 08:52:20 PM »

I'm 17 years old and I still don't know the purpose of an operating system other than the computer can't run without it.
Tanassy
Lewd Girl.
Super Sonic! (+)

Activity
0%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 03:36:52 AM »

I'm 17 years old and I still don't know the purpose of an operating system other than the computer can't run without it.
Trololo

shadowDOESrock
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 08:29:39 AM »

i'm probably the only person who never liked Windows XP.

I used 95, 98 & Millenium 2000... i never actually bought XP. It came with my Laptop though. I didnt like it. It had such a 'stiff' feeling... know what i mean?

I got Vista & 7... and love those.
Took me awhile to adjust to 7, but after a few weeks, i did.
Tanassy
Lewd Girl.
Super Sonic! (+)

Activity
0%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 08:49:56 AM »

i'm probably the only person who never liked Windows XP.
I hate XP with a burning passion. It burns. Wildly.

Jazz Nova
Avid electronic music fan
Super Sonic! (+)

Activity
0%

Say what?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 12:34:59 PM »

This sounds interesting.
Good thing Mum never bought 7.
Now that a new OS is coming out...
I'm still running XP.
:3

Thanks, firestar and kirbysoul, respectively
24kben
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2011, 09:34:23 AM »

http://www.redmondpie.com/microsoft-shows-off-file-management-improvements-in-windows-8-video/

That right there is enough reason for me to get Windows 8..
shadowDOESrock
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2011, 11:32:25 AM »

i'm sold.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sonic Zone Version 16 - Designed by John Gillis Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines Valid! XHTML