Wii Softmod Tips&Tricks

Started by 24kben, August 04, 2011, 04:34:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

24kben

Here I'll post tips and tricks for Wii Softmodders as I come across them.
And yes, I sat here and wrote this up for this forum from scratch. This is NOT a copy/paste deal. That being said I apologize for any and all mistakes.

!!!DISCLAIMER!!!
I am not responsible for any damage you cause to your Wii by following any of these tips. If you use common sense the chances of anything going wrong are slim to null. But regardless, be aware of the dangers and use your brain. If you're not 100% confident that you know what you're doing, ask for help, or just turn back.

This guide is subject to change at any time. I am not going to assure you that this is a perfect guide. (It's not.) But maybe you'll find a little help here.

This guide contains no illegal content and is intended for educational purposes ONLY!

Want me to write a tutorial on softmodding 4.3u? Ask and you shall receive.
Need help? PM me. I'm more than glad to help in any way I can!

Things that you will Want/Need (*=NEEDED)

• SD Card*
    It is recommended you use a 2GB or less non-SDHC card.
  • Wii Remote*
  • GameCube Controller
    (Not Needed but can be very helpful for homebrew menus that don't support wiimote's)
  • USB Mass Storage 8Gb+ and/or USB HDD Drive
    (^!!BE SURE IT'S FORMATTED NTFS!!^)
  • A Second SD Card
    You can use a secondary SD Card to use for system hacking and keeping NAND backups and whatnot on. Not needed but a good idea.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Legend:
Red - Extremely Important
Green - Moderately (Or Situationally) Important
Blue - Optional

System Menu/Wii Software
PriiLoader

• It is very important that you install PriiLoader to protect you from updates that will kill your wii. You can enable these blocks in "system menu hacks" in the priiloader screen. Be sure to block online updates and disc updates.
    NEVER EVER EVER INSTALL UPDATES FROM NINTENDO! This can and WILL brick your wii!

WadManager

• A Wad Manager is very important to have. With a wad manager you can install some custom CIOS files as well as homescreen channels including forwarders and WiiWare titles.
  • I Use Waninkoko's Wad Manager. Works flawlessly.

HomeBrew Browser by teknecal

• Homebrew Browser allows you to search for and download many homebrew apps, utilities and games straight to your SD.
  • This includes great EMULATORS. See Games/Backup/Play Below.

Games/Backup/Play

Backup Loaders
Many(Most) Wii Systems can't play backup DVDs without a modchip. This guide is for softmodded systems so I will not cover how to play burned games.

USB Loader GX

• USB Loader GX Is one of my favorite USB Loaders as it's fast and stable and works well with most Wii games. supports installing retail games onto external USB storage.

WiiFlow

• WiiFlow is a powerful and beautiful USB game loader that also supports installing a retail game and browsing through installed games using CoverFlow.
  • To install a DVD click settings from the home screen of WiiFlow, go to page two and click "install" then "go" the process will take ~10 to 30 minutes depending on the game and the speed of your USB media.

IMPORTANT: When using a USB Storage device (flash, HDD, ect) make sure the filesystem is NTFS. Fat32 has a file size problem that will mess up your larger (especially from dual layer) rips. Black Ops wouldn't play all the way through until I converted my drive to NTFS. If you already have a fat32 drive simply type into command prompt "convert g: /fs:ntfs" where "G:" is the drive letter of your usb media to convert the fat32 partition to NTFS.

Usb Launcher Homescreen Channels
Emulators

• Emulation is very close to many of our hearts, And if you have a Wii with a Classic controller, GC Controller or even just a Wiimote you have the perfect system to open up to literally millions of games through the many emulators!
  • Many Popular systems including

• Nintendo Entertainment System
    • Super Nintendo
    • Nintendo 64
    • Sega Genesis/Mega Drive
    • Sega Master System
    • Sega Saturn
    • Gameboy/Gameboy Color/Advance/NDS
    • And many, many more!
  • For a more complete list check out
    http://wiibrew.org/wiki/List_of_homebrew_emulators
  • Just load the Emulator and the ROMs and even saves you want on your SD card or USB stick and you're good to go!

That's it for now... I just got in from work I need a break. I'll update this post soon hope someone found some use in it!

jkid101094

I'll go back through and read, but I acidentally installed on update on my Wii with Hombrew and all it did was remove the app so I needed to reinstall it.

I'll go back and give this a look later. +1 for writing it. :3

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

Says you. She likes me more. D<
And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

24kben

Quote from: jkid101094 on August 05, 2011, 02:30:59 AM
I'll go back through and read, but I acidentally installed on update on my Wii with Hombrew and all it did was remove the app so I needed to reinstall it.

I'll go back and give this a look later. +1 for writing it. :3
You're lucky it completely bricked my Wii I had to get it replaced ><