3DS bombed

Started by shadowDOESrock, July 28, 2011, 05:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadowDOESrock

If it wasn't clear already: the 3DS has not been a home run for Nintendo. In its revised earnings forecast for the fiscal year ending March 2012, the company dropped its estimated profit to ¥20 billion ($257M), an 82 percent drop from the ¥110 billion ($1.41B) it expected. The company stated the modification had been done to reflect "trends of stronger-than-expected yen appreciation and sales performance, the decided price reduction of the Nintendo 3DS hardware, and the sales outlook for the holiday season." Nintendo plans to reduce the 3DS from ¥25,000 to ¥15,000 (approx. $317 to $190) in Japan this August.

The steep profit reduction isn't Nintendo's only glaring concern, as the company couldn't regain investor confidence after announcing the Wii U at E3 and its stock currently sits at five-year lows.

For the first quarter ending June 30, Nintendo saw its net sales cut by half from the same period last year to ¥93 billion ($1.2B), causing a ¥38 billion ($489M) loss in operating income, with a net loss for the quarter staying relatively even to last year's at ¥26 billion ($334M).

Tanassy

Will selling the 3DS at a loss even help all that much?

TheGameNinja

I think it could. Nintendo is the only company that sells their hardware at a gain anyway, if I remember correctly.

Tanassy

Really? Well in that case..

Hakudamashi

Maybe if the launch titles didn't suck
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

jkid101094

This is the reason MML3 was canceled.

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

Says you. She likes me more. D<
And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: jkid101094 on July 28, 2011, 06:18:05 PM
This is the reason MML3 was canceled.
I don't understand
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

jkid101094

Quote from: http://www.themmnetwork.com/2011/07/22/guest-column-analysis-of-the-cancellation-and-how-it-can-be-saved/Why They Cancelled MML3

3.) Sales on the 3DS

The Nintendo 3DS was projected to be a popular device because it was made by Nintendo. That is why it was determined that MML3 would be on this hand held. But as of April 26, 2011, Nintendo only sold "3.6 million units of 3DS worldwide through the end of March" (Wired). Nintendo originally expected for the 3DS to sell "4 million hardware units and 15 million software units. . ." (1up).

The reason for this low outcome has to do with multiple factors, including: a $250 price tag, a bad American economy, popular games are few and far in between, and the supposed health risks associated with Stereoscopic 3D. CAPCOM obviously did not expect for the 3DS to perform this poorly. In fact, they probably expected it to be as successful as the original DS, which sold over 500,000 units in its first week on the market (Twice).

It is a risky move to sell a cult-classic game on a hand held that does not sell as expected. CAPCOM would much rather sell popular franchises on consoles that are constantly successful, such as the PS3 or Xbox360. The fact that many 3DS owners are complaining that there is no use to own a 3DS now that MML3 has been cancelled proves this to CAPCOM. Remember, CAPCOM is in the business to make money. Developers are in the business to make games.

Sources:
http://www.1up.com/news/nintendo-expects-4-million-3ds-sales-first-month
http://www.twice.com/article/253370-500K_Nintendo_DS_Sales_Reported.php
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2011/04/nintendo-3ds-sales/

The above article is unedited from its original submission, save for such things as formatting to fit WordPress and italicizing game/franchise names, as per the site standard. Any opinions stated therein are those of the author, and do not necessarily reflect those of The Mega Man Network (though that doesn't mean we disagree, either).

For some reason posting the entire article crashed the forum so you only get a part of it.

Now let's get back on topic before babies start whining. :P

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

Says you. She likes me more. D<
And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

SmashFinale

The launch titles SUCKED DICK. only Three of them were playable, and barely any other game has came on the 3DS since then. A full year will have to come before 3DS gets better titles.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: SmashFinale on July 29, 2011, 10:49:50 AM
The launch titles SUCKED DICK. only Three of them were playable, and barely any other game has came on the 3DS since then. A full year will have to come before 3DS gets better titles.
The DS had a better launch day
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Jazz Nova

The DS was completely new to the market.
And it played GBA games, which were good.
I think that the DS was in a better potions.
Thanks, firestar and kirbysoul, respectively

tehhocktuck

Hakudamashi

Quote from: tehhocktuck on July 29, 2011, 03:51:12 PM
sad
I would feel sorry for them if they didn't price a handheld the same as a console...
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

SmashFinale

Quote from: windlessusher on July 29, 2011, 04:25:55 PM
I would feel sorry for them if they didn't price a handheld the same as a console...
It's going to be the same story for the Vita... i wonder if Sony does a desperate thing like Nintendo did and makes it half price within the first few months it comes out...

shadowDOESrock

The Vita has way better Launch-Titles that actually come out at launch.