Windows 7 (late 2009?)

Started by Gilly, August 10, 2008, 09:35:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilly

I recently read something on Google news that states that Windows 7 is very much on track and is scheduled for release in late 2009-early 2010. I personally think it's too early for them to look on to a new OS with vista still not being very great. Anyways heres the article

Windows unit head Bill Veghte said on Thursday that Windows 7 development remains on track.

The company has officially said it would ship by January 2010, but top executives have also said from time to time that it would be done by the end of 2009.

"The product is tracking very, very well," Veghte said. "We are committed and looking good, relative to our commitment--(shipping Windows 7) three years from general availability of Windows Vista."

Microsoft has released few details on the product, largely assuring customers that it would be making big architectural changes and that it will have a new multitouch user interface.

Most of Veghte's talk, as expected, was on Windows Vista and how Microsoft sees a large perception gap. Veghte showed the Mojave Project, first detailed here, in which users predisposed against Vista reacted favorably when shown Vista when it was presented under the guise of being a new version of Windows, code-named Mojave.

Even outside focus groups, Veghte said that not only are customers buying the operating system, but more are liking it, pointing to recent internal figures showing that 89 percent of users said they were "satisfied" or "very satisfied" with the product. Some 83 percent said they would recommend Vista to a friend or family member, Veghte said.

He also demoed Internet Explorer 8, which he said would be released in final form later this year. An early beta was shown off at the Mix '08 trade show in the spring.

Update: In the closing Q and A session, CEO Steve Ballmer was asked what Windows 7 would look like, but declined to offer any new details saying to do so would be a "no-win" situation.

"It's going to look great; It's going to be quite compatible," he said, to some laughter. "If I wanted to start selling Windows 7 today, we'd start selling windows 7 today. Then you'd complain."

He did reiterate what has already been said, saying that Windows 7 is designed to avoid making big changes. "The design point is compatible form the get-go in large measure," he said.

SOURCE: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-9998827-56.html

Luma

Yeah, It's a bad idea, people manage with XP and Vista is a rip off, after all those complaints they should realise they need to put more time into it, we don't want a second Vista

Spex1992

Yeah I think it's a little too early, Mircrosoft should really focus on improving Vista before they go to a new OS.

If you need help, please leave me a PM

Luma

Takama94

Vista is no good they need to work on it a lot more than think about a new OS,but for me I'm sticking with XP

Luma

I have vista on the comp I'm on now and It's not THAT bad, but since Vista is new and expencive and such nobody really makes for example cracks for Vista to play a game, Everything is made specially for Windows XP, nonetheless I agree Vista is horrible

supersoniczero

vista flops so theyrush another OS.Just like the saturn and dreamcast

Luma

Actually the Saturn was awesome in my opinion.

supersoniczero

it was ok but flopped in sales and game quality

Gilly

Luma

But John, There's not much to say, Everyone thinks it will be a disaster  :D

This might sound strange, but I would be very happy if the launch/release of Windows 7 is delayed, because that means they are improving it.

SONiC

I can't wait for this,but i'm sure they're gonna do service packs for vista
SONiC Is Stuck In Sonic 3,To Save Him,go play Sonic 3!

Luma

To be honest they should've been doing Service Packs a long time ago since there are enough complaints about Vista, I think they thought : Screw that, they will have to buy a newer version of Windows sooner or later.

Andrew

I have a solution for all of everyones operating system problems. Get Linux...duhhh. Its free and it will do almost anything you tell it to do without any problems.  If you want to support my dad get True64 Unix. My dad made it so you could enter commands into it. (my dad programs the kernel) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_kernel  The Kernel is the base level of your computer.  Without the work my dad does your OS would not work at all.
When I see the rage is building and I know there is no stopping me from changing into what is almost pure.  I try to rationalize what this is all for.

sonicmaddave

well I have Vista Home Premium on both my laptop and on my desktop, it runs well on my laptop which has 2GB RAM and dual core processor, but its quite slow on my desktop with an AMD Athlon 64 and 1GB RAM they need to iron out the bugs before they can move onto a new OS