Windows 7 (late 2009?)

Started by Gilly, August 10, 2008, 09:35:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilly

I recently read something on Google news that states that Windows 7 is very much on track and is scheduled for release in late 2009-early 2010. I personally think it's too early for them to look on to a new OS with vista still not being very great. Anyways heres the article

Windows unit head Bill Veghte said on Thursday that Windows 7 development remains on track.

The company has officially said it would ship by January 2010, but top executives have also said from time to time that it would be done by the end of 2009.

"The product is tracking very, very well," Veghte said. "We are committed and looking good, relative to our commitment--(shipping Windows 7) three years from general availability of Windows Vista."

Microsoft has released few details on the product, largely assuring customers that it would be making big architectural changes and that it will have a new multitouch user interface.

Most of Veghte's talk, as expected, was on Windows Vista and how Microsoft sees a large perception gap. Veghte showed the Mojave Project, first detailed here, in which users predisposed against Vista reacted favorably when shown Vista when it was presented under the guise of being a new version of Windows, code-named Mojave.

Even outside focus groups, Veghte said that not only are customers buying the operating system, but more are liking it, pointing to recent internal figures showing that 89 percent of users said they were "satisfied" or "very satisfied" with the product. Some 83 percent said they would recommend Vista to a friend or family member, Veghte said.

He also demoed Internet Explorer 8, which he said would be released in final form later this year. An early beta was shown off at the Mix '08 trade show in the spring.

Update: In the closing Q and A session, CEO Steve Ballmer was asked what Windows 7 would look like, but declined to offer any new details saying to do so would be a "no-win" situation.

"It's going to look great; It's going to be quite compatible," he said, to some laughter. "If I wanted to start selling Windows 7 today, we'd start selling windows 7 today. Then you'd complain."

He did reiterate what has already been said, saying that Windows 7 is designed to avoid making big changes. "The design point is compatible form the get-go in large measure," he said.

SOURCE: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-9998827-56.html

Luma

Yeah, It's a bad idea, people manage with XP and Vista is a rip off, after all those complaints they should realise they need to put more time into it, we don't want a second Vista

Spex1992

Yeah I think it's a little too early, Mircrosoft should really focus on improving Vista before they go to a new OS.

If you need help, please leave me a PM

Luma

Takama94

Vista is no good they need to work on it a lot more than think about a new OS,but for me I'm sticking with XP

Luma

I have vista on the comp I'm on now and It's not THAT bad, but since Vista is new and expencive and such nobody really makes for example cracks for Vista to play a game, Everything is made specially for Windows XP, nonetheless I agree Vista is horrible

supersoniczero

vista flops so theyrush another OS.Just like the saturn and dreamcast

Luma

Actually the Saturn was awesome in my opinion.

supersoniczero

it was ok but flopped in sales and game quality

Gilly

Luma

But John, There's not much to say, Everyone thinks it will be a disaster  :D

This might sound strange, but I would be very happy if the launch/release of Windows 7 is delayed, because that means they are improving it.

SONiC

I can't wait for this,but i'm sure they're gonna do service packs for vista
SONiC Is Stuck In Sonic 3,To Save Him,go play Sonic 3!

Luma

To be honest they should've been doing Service Packs a long time ago since there are enough complaints about Vista, I think they thought : Screw that, they will have to buy a newer version of Windows sooner or later.

Andrew

I have a solution for all of everyones operating system problems. Get Linux...duhhh. Its free and it will do almost anything you tell it to do without any problems.  If you want to support my dad get True64 Unix. My dad made it so you could enter commands into it. (my dad programs the kernel) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_kernel  The Kernel is the base level of your computer.  Without the work my dad does your OS would not work at all.
When I see the rage is building and I know there is no stopping me from changing into what is almost pure.  I try to rationalize what this is all for.

sonicmaddave

well I have Vista Home Premium on both my laptop and on my desktop, it runs well on my laptop which has 2GB RAM and dual core processor, but its quite slow on my desktop with an AMD Athlon 64 and 1GB RAM they need to iron out the bugs before they can move onto a new OS

Gilly

Quote from: sonicmaddave on August 30, 2008, 06:45:07 PM
well I have Vista Home Premium on both my laptop and on my desktop, it runs well on my laptop which has 2GB RAM and dual core processor, but its quite slow on my desktop with an AMD Athlon 64 and 1GB RAM they need to iron out the bugs before they can move onto a new OS

I agree. i cant believe even with a core 2 duo you're still saying it's laggy. i have a P4 2.4GHz with 2GB RAM and it's slow for me too (at least comparing with Windows XP). I hear Windows 7 won't be as big of a resource hog so im looking forward to that. Good Luck, Microsoft.

!shadow!

i have a laptop with windows vista home premium an intel core 2 duo processor, 2 gb ram and my laptop is running quite fast although the performance has gone down since i brought it in may,
microsoft are releasing a new os too soon they should just take time and make a better OS, i agree its too early!!

jonauli8

hm, i don't remember this, ill have to look it up

htid56

i have vista and it took some time getting used to but its ok now but i still prefer xp so much more ya can do
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Shadow84786

Great another vista I'm using xp but I heard that vista suck does it really suck because it was my first time using vista ???

htid56

Quote from: Shadow84786 on September 03, 2008, 04:02:56 PM
Great another vista I'm using xp but I heard that vista suck does it really suck because it was my first time using vista ???

its not bad in my opnion just takes time to get used to
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

kingsonic30

they need to work on vista more

shadowsega

I wonder if the new windows will be good?
Visit RIO!
A place to be randomly insane!

sonicmaddave

Quote from: kingsonic30 on September 07, 2008, 12:31:40 PM
they need to work on vista more

Yeah, I agree... they need to iron out the bugs and performance issues of Vista first before abandoning it and releasing a new OS...

darkness shadow

microsoft, here's some sdvice: sort god damn vista out be4 workin on windows god damn 7
supa emeraldz

thnx rival, again
shineh emeraldz =D

skykid10

i honestly dont seem to like vista because i have vista and all it does it freeze

!shadow!

windows vista sp2 should come out and maybe there might be some improvements

Elija2

I unfortunately have Vista and I think they should definitely work out their problems with Vista out first. Microsoft just might turn out like Sega. They'll continue abandoning all their software and stuff, and soon they will lose all trust from their consumers and it will be their downfall once they finally release something good.

Gleech

Quote from: Elija2 on November 30, 2008, 08:14:38 AM
I unfortunately have Vista and I think they should definitely work out their problems with Vista out first. Microsoft just might turn out like Sega. They'll continue abandoning all their software and stuff, and soon they will lose all trust from their consumers and it will be their downfall once they finally release something good.
eh, Microsoft is too big for something like that to happen, i mean sure they'll lose a few ppl, but they own most of the programs people use (MS paint, word, you get it), dont they own xbox?

Quote from: SonicFan47 on December 16, 2008, 08:00:41 PM
I don't care in the Ryan/Jason debate. I can't tell the difference
but I favor JALEEL WHITE!

Elija2

Quote from: Gleech on November 30, 2008, 05:39:30 PM
eh, Microsoft is too big for something like that to happen, i mean sure they'll lose a few ppl, but they own most of the programs people use (MS paint, word, you get it), dont they own xbox?

Yeah, not to mention MSN, NBC, MSNBC...and other stuff.

annoyinglad

Well, everyone must realize that after a while, XP will become out of date, and we'll have to either go with whatever Microsoft has then or migrate to Mac or whatever.

darkness shadow

Quote from: annoyinglad on December 15, 2008, 03:25:08 PM
Well, everyone must realize that after a while, XP will become out of date, and we'll have to either go with whatever Microsoft has then or migrate to Mac or whatever.
yeah, then we'll be hating computers, cause windows can't come up with a desent... what ever it's called
supa emeraldz

thnx rival, again
shineh emeraldz =D

SonicFan47

Quote from: ultrashadow on December 20, 2008, 10:19:27 PM
yeah, then we'll be hating computers, cause windows can't come up with a desent... what ever it's called

decent operating system maybe?
Sig attempt #7!

I am the Knight of Bright Blue Test Tube Sentient Beings! In your Face!
a-lad wuz here :P

darkness shadow

Quote from: SonicFan47 on December 22, 2008, 07:51:14 AM
decent operating system maybe?
yeah, thats it, my brain went at the time
supa emeraldz

thnx rival, again
shineh emeraldz =D

annoyinglad

Lol, yeah. Happens to all of us. :D

darkness shadow

Quote from: annoyinglad on December 22, 2008, 07:56:58 AM
Lol, yeah. Happens to all of us. :D
it happens most of the time to me, i'm brainless
supa emeraldz

thnx rival, again
shineh emeraldz =D

SonicFan47

I don't know what I think of windows 7. I mean, I have an XP which I use more often (it gives me less problems) but it crapped out over the summer and I had to use a Vista, which I've gotten used to (I actually kinda like it now)
I don't like the Windows movie maker that came with my vista, but that doesn't bug me so much (I just use teh XP ;D)

I really don't know. Vista lags, but my XP has low ram...I would be OK if W7 was just a faster Vista...but I'm just WEIRD like that...
???
Sig attempt #7!

annoyinglad

Quote from: SonicFan47 on December 22, 2008, 07:13:08 PM
I don't know what I think of windows 7. I mean, I have an XP which I use more often (it gives me less problems) but it crapped out over the summer and I had to use a Vista, which I've gotten used to (I actually kinda like it now)
I don't like the Windows movie maker that came with my vista, but that doesn't bug me so much (I just use teh XP ;D)

I really don't know. Vista lags, but my XP has low ram...I would be OK if W7 was just a faster Vista...but I'm just WEIRD like that...
???

Dude, who cares if WMM is wack on Vista. You've got Vegas now. Vista is trying to be secure, but with that it also becomes more restricted to teen/child users. I know it's like that too in XP, but at least in XP its as simple as clicking a few buttons for my dad to let me install something. Where as for Vista, you have to jump through hoops to install something (not literally, but doing so would be easier). That's my main issue with Vista.

Indiman

Ok guys, There has been a Pre-beta release and everyone that has it said it was the most awesome thing ever. This means Microsoft is like Sega. They rushed something just to show people that hey haven't stopped working on games, technology, etc. In other words. They probably rushed Vista OS just to show that they have not stopped working on OS. And they are now introducing a really cool OS, Windows Se7en (what its really called lol).

Sega had rushed Sonic Next Gen so they could show that they have not stopped working on sonic-next gen. They then released the AWESOME Sonic Unleashed!

;)

sonicmaddave

I read somewhere that Windows 7 uses a completely new interface and gets rid of the taskbar, instead it has a little "ribbon" on the desktop which you use to run your programs. Such a thing would confuse me totally. ???

SonicFan47

Quote from: sonicmaddave on January 02, 2009, 06:51:16 PM
I read somewhere that Windows 7 uses a completely new interface and gets rid of the taskbar, instead it has a little "ribbon" on the desktop which you use to run your programs. Such a thing would confuse me totally. ???
Okay, I could deal with Vista 2.0, but that would drive me NUTS! >:(
Sig attempt #7!

Gilly

I've used Beta 1 of Windows 7 (i have it) and it is very very compatible for the early stage that it's in, and it also looks really nice. It looks like it's going to be great. As for Vista, I love it now because it's very fast on my new PC :)

SonicFan47

Quote from: NiGHTMaRE on January 03, 2009, 08:28:22 AM
I've used Beta 1 of Windows 7 (i have it) and it is very very compatible for the early stage that it's in, and it also looks really nice. It looks like it's going to be great. As for Vista, I love it now because it's very fast on my new PC :)
Wait a minute...
There's a beta?! Where?
Sig attempt #7!

Indiman

Quote from: SonicFan47 on January 03, 2009, 09:08:39 AM
Wait a minute...
There's a beta?! Where?

Torrents ::) Oh and its actually a Pre-Beta

chet

acctually, im ok with vista its ok  ::)
Your reading my sig
2. Now your saying/thinking thats a stupid fact.
4. You didnt notice that i skipped 3.
5. Your checking it now.
6. Your smiling.
7. Your still reading my signature.
8. You know all you have read is true.
10. You didnt notice that i skipped 9.
11. Your checking it now.
12. You didnt notice there are only 10 facts
O o
/¯/___________________________ _ __/
| ITS OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!
\_\¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¯ ¯¯

Elija2

Quote from: chet on January 06, 2009, 02:36:38 PM
acctually, im ok with vista its ok  ::)

Yeah, it's OK, but there are some minor problems with it that I wish they'd fix.

!shadow!

i have just read many things about windows seven and all the reviews and stuff are positive aparently it is more snappy than vista and more faster and does not crash a lot, the only problem with it would be that it is in beta stage and there could be some bugs that have not been discoverd yet, even though i dont trust reviews that nuch because i beleive that they are all biased, i am going to get the free beta version on the microsoft website and see for myself.

SonicFan47

Quote from: !shadow! on January 17, 2009, 01:59:23 AM
i have just read many things about windows seven and all the reviews and stuff are positive aparently it is more snappy than vista and more faster and does not crash a lot, the only problem with it would be that it is in beta stage and there could be some bugs that have not been discoverd yet, even though i dont trust reviews that nuch because i beleive that they are all biased, i am going to get the free beta version on the microsoft website and see for myself.
...wow, if only the anti-Sonic gamers had that mindset...
Anyway, back on topic.
I think that Windows 7 sounds like a good Idea, but they're scrapping a lot of the basic programs that are currently on Vista and XP. (like windows movie maker)
Sig attempt #7!

loopdeer

Well actually heres something you should now they probably gave up on Vista and the Windows 7 beta (Which I'm usin it) Windows 7 Ultimate beta is only 16 gb compared to the previous 50gb and its faster plus mega faster with internet explorer. Right now compatibility is suckish, but can you suspect much from a beta? ;D

ssupershadow

Yeah, It's a bad idea, people manage with XP and Vista is a rip off and its unfair

SonicFan47

Quote from: ssupershadow on January 18, 2009, 10:15:57 AM
Yeah, It's a bad idea, people manage with XP and Vista is a rip off and its unfair
Have you actually used Vista? It's not as bad as everyone says...
Sig attempt #7!

Roxas The Hedgehog

You know you can download the beta on BitTorrent.
It's true. I really am a passive aggressive squirrel.

TheHedgehogX

Awesome!!!I  never heard of that
I
like[move]
kitties
rawr[/move]

SonicFan47

Sig attempt #7!

Gleech

Quote from: finaly on January 20, 2009, 10:00:52 AM
;D
seriously... i can smell a super ban.. (unless it already has happened XD)

Hakudamashi

Quote from: Gleech on January 20, 2009, 04:58:26 PM
seriously... i can smell a super ban.. (unless it already has happened XD)
YUP,Thank Draco for that one  ;D
But that guy s.shadow got away -_-
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Gleech

omg thank you soooo much Draco XD

Soul Blade

they're is a demo (beta) somewhere. It's downloadable. I'll see if I can get later. But I'll probably send it to akatsuki to give to yall :P

NeoMetalSonic

There probably releasing it early so we forget about the failure of Vista. They just wanna sweep it under the rug.

Tixxy

I honestly hope its better then vista

Post Merge: February 15, 2009, 01:27:54 PM

bump

shadow x

Shady

i don't know if windows 7 would be good, but i like windows xp ;D

Post Merge: February 24, 2009, 11:02:50 AM

It won't work on my PC anyway, I think. But I'm happy with XP.

revenger

They should definately work on vista before they release that, I have a vista and it can't even change hardware acceleration settings.

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: supersoniczero on August 12, 2008, 10:53:35 AM
vista flops so theyrush another OS.Just like the saturn and dreamcast

Off-Topic:
Dreamcast was rushed, but WAS AWESOME! NEVER, SAY, DREAMCAST SUX, AGAIN!

Topic:

Windowes 7 huh?!, well, urm, first i'll get a new console, then a new PC!!! >_> I dunno, i'l first wan't to say a video showing Windows 7!!!

panjr0809

joeyknock0

vista is working for me just fine

Kristomaster

I heard it was coming out on this summer...
What would SEGA be without Sonic? I don't know XP
Anyways, SONIC RULES!

I'm back...

Tixxy

Quote from: joeyknock0 on March 25, 2009, 04:36:03 AM
vista is working for me just fine

Then your lucky, my dad's internet thing in his comp hit the bucket cauz vista. He's also got the blue screen over 5 times now. He installed Vista on my comp thankfully nothing has happened to me yet. The sad part is that Microsoft isn't going to improve vista cause they pretty much just threw it under the carpet. Windows 7 is supposed to be a lot better according to them. They put so much money into advertising Vista that they for got to save money for improving it. I doubt they will make that mistake again.

loopdeer

windows 7 did enter a beta build (7000) it was good in my opinion currently the beta is at windows 7 rc which can be downloaded from Microsoft website I think well that's where I got my beta

Super Sonic Boom

Quote from: jonXjon on January 29, 2009, 04:00:33 PM
There probably releasing it early so we forget about the failure of Vista. They just wanna sweep it under the rug.

They better give Vista owners a trial of WIndows 7...that is all I got to say!

Tixxy

Quote from: Super Sonic Boom on May 31, 2009, 06:40:36 AM
They better give Vista owners a trial of WIndows 7...that is all I got to say!

They did in fact release a trial. I don't have it, but I have seen some people with it. Look's pretty good. But most of the games they want to play aren't able to work considering the fact that they are using an unknown operating system.