Wii U

Started by shadowDOESrock, June 21, 2011, 12:00:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkid101094

Quote from: Elija2 on June 22, 2011, 10:50:29 AM
Where's the N64 backwards compatibility? Come on Nintendo, don't be lazy.
It's called the virtual console. At least Gamecube games could fit in the fucking machine. :P

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

Says you. She likes me more. D<
And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: jkid101094 on June 22, 2011, 10:04:04 AM
My only real gripe (that I can recall at the moment) is that there's no Gamecube compatibility. NOTHING. No controllers, no games, no memory cards. Damnit, Nintendo. I wanted you to FIX the backwards compatibility issues the Wii had. Not remove them altogether! D<

Its the new games that matter, not the old ones.

Also, the old Controllers would be Useless just like the LOLMEMORYCARD.

jkid101094

Quote from: Lucyfied~ on June 22, 2011, 10:57:09 AM
Its the new games that matter, not the old ones.

Also, the old Controllers would be Useless just like the LOLMEMORYCARD.
Well, I'm still a little ticked about the fact that the Wii always reads my game saves as corrupted when I play when I can see them fine from the Memcard screen...And Smash just won't be the same without my GCN remote...

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Tanassy

Quote from: jkid101094 on June 22, 2011, 10:04:04 AM
My only real gripe (that I can recall at the moment) is that there's no Gamecube compatibility. NOTHING. No controllers, no games, no memory cards. Damnit, Nintendo. I wanted you to FIX the backwards compatibility issues the Wii had. Not remove them altogether! D<
Games are understandable. Controllers are fairly possible. Memory cards are out of the question.

jkid101094

Quote from: Tana~ on June 22, 2011, 02:43:08 PM
Games are understandable. Controllers are fairly possible. Memory cards are out of the question.
Then do like the PS3 does. Allow us to create a virtual memory card where we can transfer data from our Gamecube memory cards to the WiiU.

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

eXtremeAzure

The only real problem I have with this  is the name. I mean like c'mon. Nintendo has had some good names in the past, all of which made sense but seriously, Wii U? It sounds worse than PS Vita. But either way. This system looks like it could be a win although the release price isn't gonna agree with a lot of people. But other than that, I'm actually looking forward to this system.

TheGameNinja

I hate the name. They should have just gone all in and called it the Wii 2 or the Wii +. I'd hate that too, but it's basically what this thing is.

They're keeping the Wii name because the Wii sold like crazy and the second this thing hits shelves it's going to sell like crazy too because it's the "new Wii," which makes it the fashionable new toy for people who never play video games to buy. They'll play whatever game comes with it and never even think of buying another game.

And as long as Nintendo plays into those people's hands, they will suffer for it in the long run.

Don't get me wrong. I'm going to buy it. I'll probably love it. But not for the reasons that most of the people that buy it are going to love it for. In fact, they might hate it! I just now thought of that... this thing is placing a bigger focus on single player... only one new controller per system (so far)... none of the people buying this thing as a toy will like that at all. Maybe this whole pandering to the non-gamer trend will start dying out. :D

eXtremeAzure

The entire reason why they called it the WII, was to attract different types of people. Gamers and non-gamers alike. Although it wasn't entirely a non-gamer system. It had it's gaming titles, and pretty good ones at that. It wasn't HD, big woof. A lot of games had some seriously great graphics and still played very smooth. The WII was made for people to have fun and get active. It wasn't entirely made like the PS3/360 (or any other console for that matter) to just sit down with the controller in your hands, eyes blood red, staring at a TV screen for hours-on-end.

If people think of the WII as a toy, let em think, I personally couldn't care less since that's their opinion, and this is mine. Can't expect everyone to love it.  :-\ But even so, this entire NON-GAMER trend, isn't bad at all. I happen to like the Wii's party games which were meant to be played with other people, and not just by yourself. Heck, it may not be very powerful but I still love the WII none-the-less. Yeah I'm a hardcore gamer. Yes I don't mind firing up my laptop to play some COD2, NFS:Undercover and Most Wanted, Portal 2, Burnout Paradise, and many other gaming titles that were meant for single player only.

But I still happen to like Wii Sports, Wii Sports Resort, Just Dance, Wii Play Motion, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, and many other COOP-oriented games. I never complain. I love em all. Heck, I'm even excited about the brand new game which I'm gonna kill come next year, Go Vacation. It looks 10x more interesting than Wii Sports Resort, but hey, I love it anyway. I've been a gamer ever from since I was able to pick up controller. Even though the WII has a lot of NON-GAMER titles, it's still one epic system. So, TGN, this NON-GAMER trend, isn't a bad thing at all, but why do you make it sound so horrible and pathetic?

shadowDOESrock

Just Dance?
Really?

Go get some DDR.

TheGameNinja

I don't mind games like that existing. There have always been games like that and there will always be games like that. From Pong to that Kinect Disneyland game. I've played them. I own a few. Most are awful, but the decent ones are fine.

The problem is that it seems like 80% of everything on the Wii fits in that category and most of it's crap. And, yeah, I know, there are good games on it. I have good Wii games. I like them.

As for it not being HD, that is a problem. It may not matter to some people, but it does to others. Not only that, but it's old tech. The Wii was basically obsolete when it came out. This new machine is everything the original should have been from the beginning. Nintendo knows it and both Microsoft and Sony know it. Neither of them are going to be releasing new consoles to compete with it because this is Nintendo catching up to them.

Oh, and the non-gamer trend is killing the industry. The Kinect has AMAZING potential... but Microsoft is using it for games aimed at non-gamers. I have not heard of a single Kinect game being good yet. It's not just Nintendo I'm disappointed with. Every one of the Big 3 has been pushing it. At least Sony has eased off the Move a bit.

And here is why the non-gamer trend is so bad. Right now, the non-gaming general public thinks of the following when they think of video games: Mario (no specific game, just Mario), Wii (again, no specific game, but they probably mean something like Wii Sports), and "murder simulators" (GTA, any shooter, etc.). And they would NEVER entertain the notion of video games being art. To them, games are toys that are meant for children and hip parties where everyone laughs while they make weird poses in front of the TV. And the Wii embraced that notion. It got a lot of people that never play games to buy it. And this system cemented that way of thinking into the minds of these people. The media FREAKED OUT when Madworld came out because it was on the Wii and that must mean it's for kids! It's not a party game, so it must be for the only other people that play games, children! Even though it was rated M. And none of the marketing was aimed at children.

Anyway, I'm not saying those kinds of games are always bad and I'm not saying no one should play them. I'm just saying that they shouldn't be what the console forms it's base around. Those kinds of games should be used to bring non-gamers INTO gaming, not to make those people think that that IS gaming.

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: TheGameNinja on June 23, 2011, 07:15:35 PM
I have not heard of a single Kinect game being good yet.

Forza 4
Fable: The Journey
Ghost Recon: Future Soilder
Dance Central (?- apprantly people love it)

Forza 4 & Ghost Recon look extrodenary with Kinect.

TheGameNinja

Other than Dance Central, those aren't out yet. ;)

Mass Effect 3 is going to be great and it uses Kinect a little, and the little it uses it looks to be just right. If I have Kinect by the time it comes out, I'll use it.

Tanassy

I like the name. It's catchy, it really brings two different sides of gaming together in an easy recognizable way. The fact it is essentially and upgraded Wii brings about more good than bad, and the non-gamer trend really isn't that overwhelming. Think of the sheer amount of games coming out at the end of this year and early next. Most of those are complete gamer-nerdgasms. Think of the sheer amount of third-party Wii-U support already, and remember that third party preview? The first thing on it was  Darksiders 2, then it went on to show a whole bunch of things completely gamer-oriented. Some even multiplayer. Don't go saying this is no compliment to gamers as much as it is to non-gamers. Nintendo makes a place for both. And while multiplayer has lost a bit of focus it stands that nintendo know it's really a lasting thing. All of those first party demos SPECIFICALLY showed off multiplayer functions, and who's to say Nintendo are the only ones? Think about it. Your points are valid, but only to a degree. Nintendo is complimenting the Wii, and complimenting the industry. They live off innovation, and they've done it again. But they're not killing off the whole idea behind video gaming and gamers themselves. Do you really think Nintendo would go down just like that? Manic has a point when he says how good the original Wii is as a console and while you saying it's outdated is not far from the truth it is also.. very far from the truth. And yes it had a craptonne of crap titles, we all know. But can you blame it on them? Blame it on the shitty developers who made those shovelware games for money because they knew parents had plenty of money to spend.  Okay, I'm going around in circles here but let's just say I think this is a very good idea and I DON'T think the industry is dying. This year has proved the total opposite of that, you really have to look at the bigger picture.

Also, I believe this is a Wii U topic, not a Kinect topic. Please take that discussion elsewhere.

TheGameNinja

I get that this console is going to be more focused on what most gamers would like to see in a game console. I guess it's just that I was expecting a bigger change from the Wii to... this. Before the official announcement at E3, Nintendo had said that this would not be a new Wii. And, yeah, I guess they didn't technically lie, it's not a new version of the Wii. But it is basically, like I said, Wii 2 or Wii+. I understand the name choice. I keeps the profit-oozing Wii name and at the same time suggests a more single-player focus.

The developers are, of course, mostly to blame for the Wii's mountain of bad games, but Nintendo encouraged it. Even if they didn't meant to, the system as a whole really leads itself to being easily exploited that way. I remember back when all games on a Nintendo console had "The Official Nintendo Seal of Quality," while if you'll notice that emblem today, it is just the "Official Nintendo Seal." I just feel like Nintendo let games like that be made because they new they'd make a butt-load of cash off it. And they did. And now that sales are drying up, they're releasing a new one.

And I meant that the non-gamer focus in general is what's killing the industry, not just Nintendo's actions but everyone that's doing it. That's why I mentioned Kinect's problems.

Oh, and several of the trailers they showed for upcoming Wii u games weren't running on the Wii U. They just showed video of the 360/PS3 versions.

Tanassy

I have noticed the whole "Seal of quality" thing myself too.. but I suppose that's just been brought down.

Quote from: TheGameNinja on June 24, 2011, 10:24:18 AM
Oh, and several of the trailers they showed for upcoming Wii u games weren't running on the Wii U. They just showed video of the 360/PS3 versions.
So what if they showed those versions? We know the Wii U is capable of things like that and even more, I've seen alot of their post-E3 meet ups and those games look amazing. (Even if the textures take a little while to load.. haha)