A possible ban for games:Boy Shot Parents Because They Took Video Games Away

Started by Hakudamashi, January 15, 2009, 01:37:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hakudamashi

Yeah,I found this.....
Daniel Petric shot his parents because they wouldn't allow him to play the violent video game Halo 3, prosecutors told a judge at the boy's murder trial Monday.

The trial, on charges of murder and attempted murder, opened Monday for Petric, 17, of Brighton Township. He is being tried without a jury before Lorain County Common Pleas Judge James Burge. Prosecutors are not seeking the death penalty because of Petric's age.

In September 2007, Daniel, then 16, had sneaked out of his bedroom window to purchase the game at a store against his father's orders. When he returned home, his parents caught him with the game and took it from him. About a month later, Daniel used his father's key to open the lockbox and remove the gun and the game.

Mark Petric, who is a minister at New Life Assembly of God in Wellington, testified that before the shooting on Oct. 20, 2007, his then-16-year-old son came into the room with a question:

"Would you guys close your eyes," Daniel Petric asked. "I have a surprise for you."

Mark Petric said he expected a pleasant surprise. The next thing he knew, his head went numb. He had been shot in the head. Susan Petric, 43, died of gunshot wound to the head.

He said the next thing he remembers is his son shoving the gun in his hand and saying, "Hey Dad, here's your gun. Take it."

Mark Petric was allowed to visit his son in jail over the past year. He said his son has apologized. "Dad, I'm so sorry for what I did to Mom, to you and to the family," Daniel Petric said, according to his father. "I'm so glad you are alive."

"You're my son," Mark Petric responded. "You're my boy." Mark Petric said his son told him he could hardly live with the guilt over what he did.

Daniel Petric's lawyers also gave a short opening statement to the judge. They said their client had been under great stress because of a snowboarding accident that resulted in a severe staph infection.

After I read this tragic story, I speechless. I don't know what to say, is it society's fault, or else? Should we blame games? Some people said the core issue here is simply the gun; others said what really caused this was the kid's psychological problems, in the wrong state of mind anyone is capable of the unthinkable. That's indeed a very tragic story, but anyhow, the fact that the father can forgive his boy for what he had done is a strong testament to the power of both family and forgiveness.

Actual article ----->http://news.mmosite.com/content/2008-12-16/20081216070338758.shtml

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GREAT,now the media and OUR parents are gonna use this as a reason to BAN video games
So much for KH3  :'(
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

Gleech

*slaps fore-head* wow... just wow...

this'll be one of those things that they're gonna use it to show video games are bad for the next 5 years...

Quote from: SonicFan47 on December 16, 2008, 08:00:41 PM
I don't care in the Ryan/Jason debate. I can't tell the difference
but I favor JALEEL WHITE!

SonicFan47

That is just appalling.
Whether or not video games are the cause, there are very few reasons to shoot someone (much less your own parents)

oh, and...
Quote from: Gleech on January 15, 2009, 01:44:37 PM
this'll be one of those things that they're gonna use it to show video games are bad for the next 5 years...

I'd say closer to 10 or 15.
Sig attempt #7!

I am the Knight of Bright Blue Test Tube Sentient Beings! In your Face!
a-lad wuz here :P

Gleech

oh right, i fogot about those 5 or 10 years that it'll be against the law to play em' (joking)

Shadow84786

That's the reason I don't play hardcore games, I been knew about this already I heard it at School its a shame he was in jail

darkness shadow

this makes me feel gutted, and if games do get banned, that'll be more or less what little life i hav down the drain
supa emeraldz

thnx rival, again
shineh emeraldz =D

Gleech

cant they see its not the games fault? The kid never even PLAYED it! It was his choice to shoot his parents...

Tavy

At least he is orphin for shooting his mum, who needs jail in this caze, I know how its whit no mum.
I like to be called 'fat coon', ain't that true? ^^

Super Empra

Kids fault! What was he thinking? You don't shoot someone just because they ban you from a game.

If you're reading this, your a NOOB!!!

DatzAmorayEX

Shooting and murder never solve any problems. It only makes the situation even worse.
"Aw Shaddup! Don't order me around ya pile of scrud metal!"
"Hey, calm down. Or else you're going to have to take a time out in the corner."

Shadow84786

Quote from: Super Empra on January 16, 2009, 11:56:19 AM
Kids fault! What was he thinking? You don't shoot someone just because they ban you from a game.
Yeah its kind of stupid of him to shoot his parents over a video game he wanted

Gleech

yeah, why didnt he just wait a few years, then he'd have freedom to do whatever he wants (or atleast MOSTLY...)

lildude1994

If their child is crazy enough to do that over a game then he must not have had good parents

Reaver77