Article: Why SEGA Doesn't Care when Sonic Sucks

Started by Gilly, January 07, 2009, 10:55:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilly

WHY SEGA DOESN'T CARE WHEN SONIC SUCKS

It's the money, stupid. And enough gamers buy crappy Sonic games for Sega not to care, according to an anonymous Sega employee.

"Boss Rush was an anonymous blog, currently deleted, run by someone who actually turned out to be Sonic Europe employee Ben Andac (who is no longer with the company). Among other things, he clearly knew about the impending "Werehog" gimmick of Sonic Unleashed a full year before the game's trademark was even registered. On the subject of Sonic the Hedgehog games, Andac had this to say, as preserved by archive.org:

Instead of using the re-structuring for good Sonic Team became complacent slaves of their earlier successes. Their primary goal now is purely business driven: to please the managing directors wth good ROIs; this is not so abnormal - it is a business after all - but they leave little room for creativity and originality in their particular brand of working practices. Clearly the blame does not lay squarely at Naka and Sonic Team's door - the direction of Sega (or rather Sammy) as a corporation; the narrow-minded short-term annual business-plan practices and development processes (i.e. tight development schedule) that demand yearly churning out of Sonic products all play a major part...

So that's why Sonic is constantly in roughly three or four games a year, despite few of them being any good. To Sega, the Sonic franchise is now a money train the company is willing to ride all the way to shovelware station. As long as gamers keep buying lousy games starring Sonic, nothing is going to change."

By Alicia Ashby, OMGNintendo.com
January 07, 2009

Well, I can't say I'm surprised. It is good buisness owning Sonic, but it sucks that they have to not care at all about what Sonic has become. Although at least we now know how little Sega cares about their official mascot (even though it's kind of obvious with many recent Sonic Games), to be honest, thinking in the perspective of a businessman, I could see why Sega would make crappy Sonic games; because they get the same money they would if they made decent games as they do when they make the crap ones. Do little work, get paid well. Sad, but true.

Elija2

Shadow84786

I can't believe it but I see it, Sega doesn't even care if Sonic Sucks I like playing the games since I was little but now they want to make money out of it :'(

Gilly

Quote from: Shadow84786 on January 07, 2009, 11:18:09 AM
I can't believe it but I see it, Sega doesn't even care if Sonic Sucks I like playing the games since I was little but now they want to make money out of it :'(

They always wanted money out of it, because if they didn't it wouldn't exist, but the difference is that they clearly cared more about Sonic in the past than they do now.

Hakudamashi

wow..just wow  :(
I'm not sure how to feel right now
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

chet

this is what i am talking about when i cry WHAT HAVE I DONE TO DESERVE THIS!! :'(
Your reading my sig
2. Now your saying/thinking thats a stupid fact.
4. You didnt notice that i skipped 3.
5. Your checking it now.
6. Your smiling.
7. Your still reading my signature.
8. You know all you have read is true.
10. You didnt notice that i skipped 9.
11. Your checking it now.
12. You didnt notice there are only 10 facts
O o
/¯/___________________________ _ __/
| ITS OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!
\_\¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¯ ¯¯

Hakudamashi

I guess all the b*tchin from everyone cause them to just stop caring.Cause no matter how hard they work,they always get bad....everything.Also the fanbase isn't that large either
So they just gave up,make money and took some fukitol pills
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

chet

hang on! if we do it the old-fashioned way, they could start making good sonic games again! i mean look, it says: "they sell enough crappy sonic games for sega not to care" if we stop buying the "crappy" sonic games, they should care so they will have to make better games!!!  :o do you know where i am going with this?  ;)
Your reading my sig
2. Now your saying/thinking thats a stupid fact.
4. You didnt notice that i skipped 3.
5. Your checking it now.
6. Your smiling.
7. Your still reading my signature.
8. You know all you have read is true.
10. You didnt notice that i skipped 9.
11. Your checking it now.
12. You didnt notice there are only 10 facts
O o
/¯/___________________________ _ __/
| ITS OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!
\_\¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¯ ¯¯

Hakudamashi

I think ur forgetting the underused word known as

OPINIONS
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

CradledEggle

Winds got the right idea.i am in aw about this just...aw...
------
~Circa 2009; We were kids back then, just looking for a past time~

Super Empra

There goes all my respect for SEGA, this is what I am feeling right now...
>:( :( :o ??? :'(

If you're reading this, your a NOOB!!!

Tavy

You're so right, almost all the companies that make games seem to not care that much of what they sell as much as making money... the world is so going down.... I think if we change first (by liking just games that desirve likyng and such) then they will also change.
I like to be called 'fat coon', ain't that true? ^^

Super Empra

This means SEGA is becoming more like Nintendo. All Nintendo do is put Mario in a game and watch it sell millions.

If you're reading this, your a NOOB!!!

Hakudamashi

True,companies today hardly give 2 sh*ts about the fans anymore
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

darkness shadow

Quote from: windlessusher on January 08, 2009, 11:25:08 AM
True,companies today hardly give 2 sh*ts about the fans anymore
they will when they don't have any fans 2 not give 2 sh*ts about
supa emeraldz

thnx rival, again
shineh emeraldz =D