15 year old hedgehog, RETIRING???

Started by chet, January 06, 2009, 05:28:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chet

special thanks to nIghtmare and proto_blaze for the articles

15 Year old hedgehog

RETIREING???

In the past decade, sonic the hedgehog has lost most of his popularity. Ever since sonic adventure 2, there has been no "good" sonic game. Sega's little blue mascot has spent his time in forgotin video game boxes because sega took things out of hand, like a car spinning out of control and crashing. Sonic fans every where are crying "WHAT HAVE I DONE TO DESERVE THIS?!?" (yes even me.) recent sonic games have gotten very bad scores on there review.

A quote from yahoo.com:

"Remember when Sonic was awesome? Neither do we. We're not sure what's more puzzling -- the fact that they keep making terrible Sonic games, or the fact that Sega keeps using the tired blue blur as its official mascot. Other than the recent role-playing game Sonic Chronicles, there hasn't been a truly fun Sonic game in about a decade. That's about nine years too long. Speed kills."

Why are they so mean???

Whats more, cnet said this about sonic.

"In the next week, a new Sonic game, called Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood will hit store shelves for the Nintendo DS. Some are anxiously waiting for the title to be released, while many don't care all that much. Why is that? Probably because Silent Hill: Homecoming will be released during the same week and, well, Sonic has lost his stride over the past decade.

Practically any poll you search for on the Web about the most popular video game characters will say that Mario is tops. In fact, a recent survey in Japan [Google translation warning] returned similar results showing Mario as the popular game character in the country, followed closely by other big names like Cloud from the Final Fantasy series and Yoshi.

Other surveys feature Sonic in the Top 10 -- usually around the middle area -- and the vast majority of people I surveyed on my Twitter page agreed with the public: Sonic isn't the best video game character of all-time, but he's certainly up there.

So what happened to Sonic? A decade ago, the blue hedgehog was at the top of his game and battling it out with Mario for the top-spot as the world's most popular video game character. Since then, even though he has been featured in a number of titles, his popularity has dropped significantly and his money-making potential has fallen with it.

All the while, stalwarts like Mario and Link have clung to the top spots with nary a drop in popularity.

During the heyday of the Sega Genesis, I can still remember the fights that would break out over whether Sonic or Mario was better. The Sega fanboys would support their mascot until the end and the Nintendo fanboys would do the same for their plumber. Little did we know that that really was the beginning of the end.

As soon as the Nintendo 64 hit store shelves and Mario become the centerpiece of the 3D platforming world, Sonic's decline started. Sega couldn't muster a real competitor and its own desire for speed trumped its necessity for fun and exciting platforming gameplay.

In the meantime, Sega itself was declining at a rapid rate and its blunders is ostracizing developers and retailers turned the company into pariah. And as Nintendo continued its charge as the de facto leader in innovative gameplay, Sega and Sonic were left out in the cold.

Finally, with the release of the Sega Dreamcast, Sega made an effort in the platforming space and released Sonic Adventure, which, to this day, is still one of my favorite games to play when I'm bored. But alas, it was too late and the once-proud Sonic was forced to endure as his creators bailed out of the hardware business in favor of software.

Sure, it wasn't long ago that Sega dropped out of the hardware business, but it really has been a long time since Sonic was on-par with Mario. In fact, I'd say that Sonic hasn't been considered an equal to Mario for at least a decade. During that time, all the kids that stayed true to Sonic have moved on, grown up, and found gaming love in titles like Halo and Gears of War. And all the younger kids who don't remember the days of Nintendo-Sega fighting only know and love one major player in the space: Mario. Sonic games are relegated to the bargain bin for these children.

And perhaps that's why few people are getting excited about the latest and greatest Sonic game. The people that once cared are too old to get excited about Sonic anymore and the younger people who should be getting excited barely care he exists. They would be much happier playing the latest Mario title or checking out any of the other major franchises in the industry.

I still look back at the old days when Sonic was at the top as some of the greatest days in gaming. It was a time when derivative gameplay was the exception, not the rule. And it was a time when gaming didn't have to be about sexy women or killing prostitutes to be fun. It was a time when gaming was real and it was unique.

And unfortunately, it's becoming clearer by the day that Sonic, a stalwart of that time, is dying of old age with each sub-par title from Sega trying to revive the old hedgehog.

Thanks for the good times, Sonic. We loved every minute of them."

It seems now that Sega has run out of chances. But in march 2009; a last resort game will be coming out. Sonic and the black night will be the second installment in the storybook series. Perhaps this time, fans will be checking the rating before buying the game. BUT, from the game play style; it looks like sonic may jumping into the ranks again like Mario jumping on goombas.

Nowadays, it's no reason why shadow seems so... emo. In addition to that, Mario seems to have some kind of invincibility shield. In 2008, Mario and sonic at the Olympic games sold 10 million copies worldwide. The game scored very badly. No matter HOW many gold metals sonic won in the game, the ultimate loser, was, (you guessed it.) sonic. Sonic the hedgehog was pulled even lower in the ranks, while Mario stayed tops.

For now, lets just pray for sonic, for god knows WHAT will happen to him. Lets hope he will stay where he should be, on television screens, making fans happy saving the world. There is nothing wrong with Mario though. However, it seems they have temporarly stopped making Mario games. Lets hope sega takes advantage of mario's nap. Just like in the turtle and the hare...

Chet

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Your reading my sig
2. Now your saying/thinking thats a stupid fact.
4. You didnt notice that i skipped 3.
5. Your checking it now.
6. Your smiling.
7. Your still reading my signature.
8. You know all you have read is true.
10. You didnt notice that i skipped 9.
11. Your checking it now.
12. You didnt notice there are only 10 facts
O o
/¯/___________________________ _ __/
| ITS OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!
\_\¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¯ ¯¯

darkness shadow

sonic has had a few games, but people don't seem to realise that sonic could be at his turning point
supa emeraldz

thnx rival, again
shineh emeraldz =D

Luma

old topic idd, sonic is 17 now (:P) his games wont die cause sega doesnt give any attention to surveys or w/e between mario and sonic, then they show up with a game like sonic unleashed and it sells tons again

chrono123

sonics not the worst in my opinion but could be a whole lot better like ty the tasmanian tiger

DatzAmorayEX

Well, I think Sonic will live on forever, no matter what. He'll get back on the top someday... I know it... We just gotta hang in there and hope for the best!
"Aw Shaddup! Don't order me around ya pile of scrud metal!"
"Hey, calm down. Or else you're going to have to take a time out in the corner."

Hakudamashi

Quote from: DatzAmorayEX on January 17, 2009, 04:49:39 AM
Well, I think Sonic will live on forever, no matter what. He'll get back on the top someday... I know it... We just gotta hang in there and hope for the best!
If only 3/4 of the world was as optimistic as you  :(
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

TheHedgehogX

=(  :'( :'( :'(
sonic doesnt suck....it needs to improve...

DatzAmorayEX

"Aw Shaddup! Don't order me around ya pile of scrud metal!"
"Hey, calm down. Or else you're going to have to take a time out in the corner."

SlashXVI

Well, The apearence of "SONIC UNLEASHED" was reaallyyy cool! and the next awesome game will be Sonic and the black night

THANKS JET!

kokkirikid

i cant wait for black knight the game looks so cool

darkness shadow

Quote from: kokkirikid on January 24, 2009, 09:52:08 AM
i cant wait for black knight the game looks so cool
yeah, lets hope the controls are good
supa emeraldz

thnx rival, again
shineh emeraldz =D

Super Empra

I hope it doesn't have controls like the secret rings.

If you're reading this, your a NOOB!!!

KnuXXX

Quote from: SlashXVI on January 24, 2009, 03:11:37 AM
Well, The apearence of "SONIC UNLEASHED" was reaallyyy cool! and the next awesome game will be Sonic and the black night

Indeed! I didn't really like the werehog bit in Unleashed. But being Sonic the Hedgehog was shocking. I got blown away. And, I'm getting a 360 just to get Sonic The Hedgehog, and the 360 version of Unleashed, cause it looks so much better.. Can't wait!!
I hope the controls in Black Knight will be more like Unleashed. It has to be, really. Cause I swear I've heard that u shake the wiimote for swinging ur sword or something..
Doesn't matter, the game will be great!!
This is a signature.

darkness shadow

Quote from: Knux on January 24, 2009, 04:23:23 PM
Indeed! I didn't really like the werehog bit in Unleashed. But being Sonic the Hedgehog was shocking. I got blown away. And, I'm getting a 360 just to get Sonic The Hedgehog, and the 360 version of Unleashed, cause it looks so much better.. Can't wait!!
I hope the controls in Black Knight will be more like Unleashed. It has to be, really. Cause I swear I've heard that u shake the wiimote for swinging ur sword or something..
Doesn't matter, the game will be great!!
i liked the werehog part, it's great for stress relive, but the sonic stages... WHOO
supa emeraldz

thnx rival, again
shineh emeraldz =D

SlashXVI

Quote from: ultrashadow on January 24, 2009, 08:17:51 PM
i liked the werehog part, it's great for stress relive, but the sonic stages... WHOO
Yep. The boosts are the best part of sonic stages.

THANKS JET!