Yuji Naka Wants to Work on New Dreamcast

Started by Skyle369, October 01, 2010, 01:47:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skyle369

From TSSZNews

Despite constant reassurance by Sega that the company is out of the console business, in remarks made seemingly out of left field to CVG, former Sonic Team head and Prope founder Yuji Naka said he wouldn't mind working on what he called "Dreamcast 2."

We're not joking.  Apparently, neither was he.

"Of course Dreamcast was my baby back at Sega and I want to carry on making good games for the European market," Mr. Naka said.  "And one day I'm hoping it gives me the opportunity to work on Dreamcast 2."

Mr. Naka made these remarks seriously, after quipping about how he'd be able to do this if European sales of Ivy the Kiwi? went well.  He is in Britain this weekend for the Eurogamer Expo.

If not Sega, Mr. Naka wouldn't mind advising console design for any of the current big three–be it Nintendo, Sony, or Microsoft.  He explained:

Quote[....] I was involved in most of the consoles and controllers that Sega came up with.  If I have the opportunity in the future I want to be involved again with hardware making.  It would be ideal if I could become some sort of advisor working with the platform makers in future.  I think if I can work really well with the platform makers then it's good for everyone, because I can then come up with totally new games.

That someone of his status is even trying to make serious discussion about the last ill-fated Sega console may help drive up many Sega fan hopes.  Don't let your dreams of another Dreamcast die off just yet.

Gilly

I'd love to see a Dreamcast sequel console. SEGA was always 1 step ahead of the competition with the consoles, so who knows what they could come up with? One thing I'd worry about is if they do come out with new hardware, Sonic is currently licensed by Nintendo, and I wonder who would license their game with SEGA? Just some things to think about..

TheGameNinja

I doubt SEGA would be able to release a console now. The market probably wouldn't be able to handle 4 competing consoles. Still, I would buy the thing if it ever actually came out. :P

Jazz Nova

Quote from: TheGameNinja on October 01, 2010, 02:14:08 PM
I doubt SEGA would be able to release a console now. The market probably wouldn't be able to handle 4 competing consoles. Still, I would buy the thing if it ever actually came out. :P
Agreed.
How would we know that the DC2 wouldn't just be a PS3/360 imitation-ish thing?
And I totally would buy it if it came out.
Thanks, firestar and kirbysoul, respectively

Hakudamashi

If it is real,the only thing that would make me get it is if every possible platformer from now and forever were to be made for it exclusively
That and it costs less than US$200
And I'm living on my own
And I don't have kids yet...
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

gamerdude260

Ravenfreak

If this is real... I'd definitely get one. I'd love to see Sega in the console business again, but I thought he basically cut off all ties with Sega after he left Sonic Team. o.O But last year, Sega bought patents for a new controller, so it might be the Dreamcast 2! :D

knucklesinsonic2.com

EchidnaPower

Now this is interesting. If Yuji Naka created another Dreamcast, then this might be SEGA's chance to finally get back into contention with everyone else. However because Sonic is licensed by Nintendo now, where does that leave SEGA? Their biggest success is now in the second string character to none other than Mario.

Could SEGA possibly buy Sonic back? And if so, would they be able to resurrect Sonic and bring him back into the race with Mario rather than being stuck in second place?

I love Jesus! Do you?

TheGameNinja

Quote from: EchidnaPower on November 09, 2010, 03:29:41 PM
Now this is interesting. If Yuji Naka created another Dreamcast, then this might be SEGA's chance to finally get back into contention with everyone else. However because Sonic is licensed by Nintendo now, where does that leave SEGA? Their biggest success is now in the second string character to none other than Mario.

Could SEGA possibly buy Sonic back? And if so, would they be able to resurrect Sonic and bring him back into the race with Mario rather than being stuck in second place?

It's not like Nintendo owns Sonic. If they did, Sonic games wouldn't be released on the 360, PS3, or PSP, like Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing or Sonic Rivals.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: EchidnaPower on November 09, 2010, 03:29:41 PM

Why do you suggest SEGA to compete?
Why can't they just make games and be happy? =/

And you make it sound like SEGA is doomed without Sonic, even though
Quote from: TheGameNinja on November 09, 2010, 03:59:13 PM
It's not like Nintendo owns Sonic. If they did, Sonic games wouldn't be released on the 360 or PS3.
But they have a bunch of other characters to make a profit off of.

And must you bring Mario into this?

And all these things
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

EchidnaPower

Quote from: windlessusher on November 10, 2010, 10:06:01 AM
Why do you suggest SEGA to compete?
Why can't they just make games and be happy? =/

And you make it sound like SEGA is doomed without Sonic, even thoughBut they have a bunch of other characters to make a profit off of.

And must you bring Mario into this?

And all these things

Well for one thing, if SEGA managed to get back into the console game, SEGA might have the motivation to make the awesomest game ever! xD

Seriously though, if Yuji Naka does come back, maybe some members of the already bitter fan base will be more forgiving towards Sonic and SEGA and allow them a little more leash.

I love Jesus! Do you?

Hakudamashi

Quote from: EchidnaPower on November 11, 2010, 02:16:06 AM
Well for one thing, if SEGA managed to get back into the console game, SEGA might have the motivation to make the awesomest game ever! xD
No offense, but how did you translate "awesome console" to equal an "awesome game"
And all these things
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

EchidnaPower

Quote from: windlessusher on November 11, 2010, 10:06:24 AM
No offense, but how did you translate "awesome console" to equal an "awesome game"
And all these things

Because I was joking? Hence the "xD"

I love Jesus! Do you?

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay