Motion Controller for PlayStation 3

Started by Rulep, September 24, 2009, 10:56:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rulep

TGS 09:Motion Controller for PlayStation 3 to Become Available in Spring 2010

Motion Controller equipped with high-precision motion sensors, combined with PlayStationEye camera, delivers whole new entertainment experience.

September 24, 2009 - TOKYO - Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE) today announced that it will release a new Motion Controller (unofficial name) for PlayStation 3 (PS3) computer entertainment system in Spring 2010. The new controller, equipped with high-precision, highly accurate motion sensors, can deliver a whole new entertainment experience on PS3 when combined together with the PlayStation Eye camera(*1). Capable of recognizing and tracking a user's face and voice as well as body motion, PlayStation Eye can also output the player's image onto the TV screen. SCE will vigorously promote the expansion of this new experience only possible on the PS3 platform.

The newly announced Motion Controller is equipped with two motion sensors, three axes gyroscope and three axes accelerometer that can detect the controller's angle and movement held in the user's hand. Together with the PlayStation Eye camera for PS3 which can accurately track the absolute position of the controller, the controller can detect the natural and intuitive movement of the hand and reflect the precise movement on to the game. The sphere placed on the top of the controller is not only used to track the absolute position but can also give visual feedback to users by changing the colors or the illuminating patterns of the sphere. Furthermore, the new controller is also equipped with a rumble feature, familiar to the PlayStation DUALSHOCK series controller, delivering an immersive gaming experience to users.

Further expanding the new experience on PS3, SCE Worldwide Studios will deliver many exciting software titles for the Motion Controller in 2010(*2). SCE, with strong support from software developers and publishers, will deploy various measures to enhance the software title line-up for the new Motion Controller and vigorously promote the PS3 platform.

*Motion Controller is a tentative name.

*1 Users will need to use the PlayStation Eye camera to enjoy Motion Controller on PS3.

*2 Please see below for software titles to be released in 2010.

Product Outline
Motion Controller (Tentative)

Product name
Motion Controller (tentative)

Release date
Spring 2010

Recommended Retail Price
-To be decided.

Key Features
-Three axes gyroscope, three axes accelerometer
-Bluetooth 2.0
-Lithium-Ion rechargeable internal battery

Software Titles for Motion Controller from SCE Worldwide Studios(*1)
(2010 release, includes both Motion Controller dedicated and compatible titles)

Title name
Ape Escape (Working Title)
Echochrome 2 (Working Title)
Eccentric Slider (Working Title)
Sing and Draw (Working Title)
Champions of Time (Working Title)
Motion Party (Working Title)
The Shoot (Working Title)
Tower (Working Title)
PAIN(*2)
Flower(*2)
Hustle Kings(*2)
High Velocity Bowling(*2)
EyePet(*2)

*1 Titles to be released will depend by countries or regions.

*2 Motion control function will be added by network update, etc.

About Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.
Recognized as the global leader and company responsible for the progression of consumer-based computer entertainment, Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) manufactures, distributes and markets the PlayStation game console, the PlayStation 2 computer entertainment system, the PSP (PlayStation Portable) handheld entertainment system and the PlayStation 3 (PS3) system. PlayStation has revolutionized home entertainment by introducing advanced 3D graphic processing, and PlayStation 2 further enhances the PlayStation legacy as the core of home networked entertainment. PSP is a handheld entertainment system that allows users to enjoy 3D games, with high-quality full-motion video, and high-fidelity stereo audio. PS3 is an advanced computer system, incorporating the state-of-the-art Cell processor with super computer like power. SCEI, along with its subsidiary divisions Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc., Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Ltd., and Sony Computer Entertainment Korea Inc. develops, publishes, markets and distributes software, and manages the third party licensing programs for these platforms in the respective markets worldwide. Headquartered in Tokyo, Japan, SCEI is an independent business unit of the Sony Group.

-Ign

Rulep: do you ever fall in love with yourself
Captain Nook: for me, there could never be anyone else.
Captain Nook: I've spent hours looking in the mirror.

S-Sooooonic

Conker534

maksim123456

If you mean the Playstation Move witch will be available in spring 2010 its just a rip off from the wii,but it seems Sony is moving to the casual gaming side with it.If you dont believe me look at this before you reply to me and

TheGameNinja

At least the PS3's Wiimote is wireless AND batteryless.

Super Sonic Boom

With this motion controller, do you people think it could beat off Xbox 360's Natal controller?

TheGameNinja

Quote from: Super Sonic Boom on March 21, 2010, 04:11:51 AM
With this motion controller, do you people think it could beat off Xbox 360's Natal controller?
I think Natal is more of expansion. There will be entire games built around it as though it were a separate console.

Super Sonic Boom

Quote from: TheGameNinja on March 21, 2010, 03:33:25 PM
I think Natal is more of expansion. There will be entire games built around it as though it were a separate console.

Exactly, maybe this is what the PS3's controller will be too later on in the gaming market.

TheGameNinja

Quote from: Super Sonic Boom on March 22, 2010, 09:30:35 AM
Exactly, maybe this is what the PS3's controller will be too later on in the gaming market.
I suspect the Move was only made so that they could cut in on some of that Wii shovelware money. Thousands of craptastic mini game collections and Nintendo's getting all the profit.

Super Sonic Boom

Quote from: TheGameNinja on March 22, 2010, 10:50:15 AM
I suspect the Move was only made so that they could cut in on some of that Wii shovelware money. Thousands of craptastic mini game collections and Nintendo's getting all the profit.

Nintendo's shoveled out games now is just starting to make me feel like Nintendo's thinking short term gain long term lost with some games..and it feels like this now.

connerpeel

It's so stupid why make the move they have the kinnect and the wii it's dumb i find it may be fun with some good games. but whats the point. I truly don't get it. If someone shall explain to me WTH did sony make that stupid move!

TheGameNinja

Quote from: connerpeel on November 26, 2010, 04:15:08 AM
It's so stupid why make the move they have the kinnect and the wii it's dumb i find it may be fun with some good games. but whats the point. I truly don't get it. If someone shall explain to me WTH did sony make that stupid move!

Because the Wii makes CRAZY money. WAAAAY more than the 360 or PS3. They want that money.

Supersonic196

Quote from: TheGameNinja on November 26, 2010, 07:38:39 AM
Because the Wii makes CRAZY money. WAAAAY more than the 360 or PS3. They want that money.

the move is the only real competitor from my viewpoint

Hakudamashi

Quote from: TheGameNinja on March 22, 2010, 10:50:15 AM
Actually, Sony has been working on Playstation Move gimmick in 2001, which was before Nintendo came up with the Wii
Nintendo just released the Wii sooner to rake in the cash with it's "unique" motion controls gameplay that the Dreamcast clearly did better.
I'll come back with proof eventually.
And all these things
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Tanassy

Who gives a f*ck if sony did it first? Nintendo made it HAPPEN.
Sony was too slow. and the end result failed like a tard.

Also, the market runs on building from others' ideas.

Quote from: windlessusher on November 30, 2010, 06:42:47 PM
Dreamcast clearly did better.

That made me lol like a retard.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: BloodFury~ on November 30, 2010, 07:54:36 PM
Who gives a fuck if sony did it first? Nintendo made it HAPPEN.
Sony was too slow. and the end result failed like a tard.
Soo, it's a bad thing that Sony decided not to release it early like some impatient schoolkid?
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Tanassy

Quote from: windlessusher on November 30, 2010, 07:56:37 PM
Soo, it's a bad thing that Sony decided not to release it early like some impatient schoolkid?
Yep. all the move's release games fail like fuck and are all either copies of Wii games or just plain fail. If nintendo hadn't realeased earlier THEY would be in this poition.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: BloodFury~ on November 30, 2010, 07:59:15 PM
Yep. all the move's release games fail like fuck and are all either copies of Wii games or just plain fail. If nintendo hadn't realeased earlier THEY would be in this poition.
And yet people still try to convince me that "patience is a virtue" =/
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay